Phase 90 debugging

Started by ljudsystem, February 21, 2020, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willienillie

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 25, 2020, 04:44:50 PM
So, are you sure you have the opamps in the right way around?

Good question!  Two of the sockets are upside-down, which of course doesn't matter as long as the ICs are right.

ljudsystem

Hmm, hadn't noticed the sockets being upside down. I'll put the opamps back in, but I'm pretty sure they were facing the right way. They should all be facing the same way, right? With the dot and indentation to the top of the layout?

ljudsystem

Rob Strand

QuoteWith the dot and indentation to the top of the layout?
Yes, the layout is drawn with the indentation at the top on all chips.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ljudsystem

Ok, I think I've found the Culprit. I desoldered the trim pot last night and it read 200R instead of 250K.

Slowpoke101

Well done. I was really wondering about this one.
But out of interest I note that across the zener (D1 ) you measured 190mV...But on IC3 (the lowest one on the layout ) you measured around 0.8V on pins 3 and 5. Odd, very odd.
Anyway, hopefully you've got it all working.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Yes, well done.

But out of interest I note that across the zener (D1 ) you measured 190mV...But on IC3 (the lowest one on the layout ) you measured around 0.8V on pins 3 and 5. Odd, very odd.

The opamps outputs probably saturate at a higher voltage than 190mV.    That makes sense.
I'm still puzzled how the reference can be low and so many opamps had 8.5V on the outputs *and* on the -ve input.
You would think the low reference would just pull everything down.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ljudsystem

Thanks Rob, it was your coment about a short around the trim pot that made me measure the resistance across it.

I'm gonna see if I can find a 250k pot in my stash, but I remember ordering a 250k trimmer for this project so I suspect the supplier sent me the wrong trimmer... Or maby I made a mistake and ordered a 250r.  :icon_redface:

ljudsystem

Did the site go down? I havn't been able to access it for a few days. Anyway, replaced the trim pot last week and now the 70s are back! :icon_biggrin: I can play Waylon songs all day long ha ha.

Thanks for all the help guys! If it wasn't for you it would still be sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/