help with ugly face building diy. stuck

Started by spyro27, February 24, 2020, 03:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spyro27

hi . im having some trouble building the ugly face. I got a Veroboard layout that says verified. but I cant seem to find it again. built it. but bypass LED and Boss Adapter LED just blink. no sound when on. checked if made any mistakes (souldering) couldn't find anything really. any idea what could be wrong??

antonis

Bypass LED blinks due to PS adapter blinking..
"Something" severely loads PS with first suspect being LFO..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

spyro27

so what you think has to be done? higher power adapter?

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

Quote from: spyro27 on February 24, 2020, 04:25:31 AM
so what you think has to be done? higher power adapter?

Definitely not.  If your PSU is periodicaly cutting out (i.e. trying to protect itself), then something is wrong as Antonis suggests.  You need to find the source of the problem (likely a short) rather than try to throw more power at it!

Show us what you've built.

And a belated "welcome", btw.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

spyro27

thx a lot people ! how nice..

also IC1 seems to be heating up slowly when on.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Did you build a mirror-image version??  ???

Everything that should be on the "left" appears to be on the "right", and vice versa.  The layout shows the view as it would be from above the board.
  • SUPPORTER

spyro27

bluebunny

Deep breath.  Take a drink.  Initiation completed!   :icon_cool:

Come back and share the results when you do the second iteration, and we'll take that drink with you.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

also welcome, and I was going to say, because you've used sockets ....... but I see that's only partly true. if you can remove all three IC's, just carefully solder them to the underside of the board, and the pin numberings will magikally correct themselves.

or something. and then probably rebuild it.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on February 25, 2020, 09:31:53 AM
and I was going to say, because you've used sockets ....... but I see that's only partly true. if you can remove all three IC's, just carefully solder them to the underside of the board, and the pin numberings will magikally correct themselves.

AKA, the antipodean remedy.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER

spyro27

thx a lot. so nice of some1 to actually look thru wat mistakes cudv been made n help out! got m pedal to start working :) lil low volume and some problem with lfo switch..wen on adapter starts blinkin like before..will try checkin for some faults myself b4 askin.

bluebunny

If your PSU is still wigging out, then it's still likely protecting itself from a short.  (If you use a battery, does it get warm?)

Get out that magnifying glass!  And use your DMM to confirm there is indeed a short (or not).
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: bluebunny on February 25, 2020, 10:24:17 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on February 25, 2020, 09:31:53 AM
and I was going to say, because you've used sockets ....... but I see that's only partly true. if you can remove all three IC's, just carefully solder them to the underside of the board, and the pin numberings will magikally correct themselves.

AKA, the antipodean remedy.   ;)

between us and the kiwis, there are no finer podes to be found anywhere in the world.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

rutabaga bob

That duck's always got a remedy for something...   ;D
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper