Transistors for two Fuzz Factory clones?

Started by AndersonENGINEERING, February 24, 2020, 11:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersonENGINEERING

I am curious to see what you recommend. Ideally I want one with silicon and one with germanium.

I want to buy high quality and/or NOS stuff that doesn't cost more than $15 total for the transistors.

I understand that the hFE is a big factor, but I want something that is reliable and not too finnicky.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I always say that the only dumb question is the one that had not been asked.

I have a decent selection of common transistors around. This is on a tayda PCB.

I am fresh to a lot of small details on transistors.

Any and all advice and guidance is much appreciated.
A collection of vintage BF Fenders, Splawns, Riveras, Fryettes and Mesas. Lost track of guitars at 40 some.

New to the world of pedal building, I promise I will ask stupid questions, as I am here to learn.

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson

idy

Easy answer is Small Bear. $11-25 buys a variety of Ge pairs matched for Fuzz Faces (which, wih a booster, a Fuzz Factory is.)

willienillie

Normally there's one silicon and two germaniums.  I built mine with some scavenged transistors that were "sorta close" to what I'd seen recommended here or elsewhere on the net.  I don't think the circuit is too picky, since its parameters are so adjustable, and half its purpose in life is to go unstable.  For the silicon, you don't need high gain.  For germaniums, grab a handful of Japanese 2SBwhatevers.  Breadboard and/or socket.  Have fun.

AndersonENGINEERING

Could somebody point me to a good general lot of NOS germanium transistors? Preferably more than 30 pieces with different values, and under $50. I want a reasonably broad selection. The more the better under $50ish.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on germanium transistors. Especially when it comes to Russia or Japan.

A collection of vintage BF Fenders, Splawns, Riveras, Fryettes and Mesas. Lost track of guitars at 40 some.

New to the world of pedal building, I promise I will ask stupid questions, as I am here to learn.

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson

AndersonENGINEERING

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164028791873

Would this be a good lot to snag for general purpose transistors for fuzzes?

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson