Parts Identification

Started by HighSolstice, February 24, 2020, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighSolstice

So, I ordered a ton of components when I first got drawn into this hobby and by now I've got a good handle on most parts I've needed for my projects but these weren't labeled when I received them in the mail and now I'm not sure what they are.  I'm sure I'll end up needing them eventually but I haven't yet.  Anyone who can clear this up for me?

idy

almost certainly diodes... use a meter with a diode test and determine the voltage drop...

HighSolstice

The top ones are measuring in the range of 764-770, the others are measuring around 662-666.

Big Monk

Quote from: HighSolstice on February 24, 2020, 10:40:54 PM
The top ones are measuring in the range of 764-770, the others are measuring around 662-666.

Assuming that's mV, I'd say Silicon diodes.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon

idy

+1 on two varieties of silicon small signal...
You would want maybe to eliminate things like zener. I'm not sure what the best way to check for a reverse breakdown voltage... you would not have ordered zeners with reverse voltages over say 9.1? I don't think common small signals would be burned out by reverse-biasing them with 9v? And if you did ruin one or two, not so terrible a loss.

Rob Strand

The diodes are often identifiable from the package *AND* the color of the bands.  Different packages with the same colored bands are different so you need to match both.

* First diode:
DO-34 package
Cathode band = yellow
2nd band = yellow
Possible match is the Panasonic MA2C858, MA858
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/panasonic/SKG00003BED.pdf

There may be other diodes with the same colors.

* Second diode:
DO-35 package
Cathode band = yellow

I haven't search for this one.  (It's unlikely to be the common 1SS133 as that has a DO-34 package)

EDIT: maybe this (used in BOSS pedals)
1s2473
http://www.datasheets-pdf.com/1s2473-%E3%83%87%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88-diode/

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

willienillie

I agree the bottom ones look like 1S2473s.  Frequently used in early Boss OD-1 and SD-1 overdrives.  Though never used by Ibanez AFAIK, they are one of my favorite for tube screamer clippers, paired with the JRC4558.  They have their own sound, very smooth, try 'em out.