Boss RC3 Potentiometer

Started by DrT, March 19, 2020, 09:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrT

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the double barrel potentiometer used by Boss on the RC3, for example?

Thanks,

DrT

willienillie

Quote from: DrT on March 19, 2020, 09:20:44 PM
double barrel potentiometer

Dual gang pot?  Concentric shaft pot?  I'm not familiar with the RC3.

DrT

Concentric shaft.  It is PCB mounted and on the small side.  I can find a bunch of concentric shaft pots, the form factor is the issue.

Thanks

smallbearelec

The BOSS compact pedals that I'm familiar with that use a concentric pot use this style:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-dual-gang-9mm-pc-mount-dual-concentric/

What are the resistances and tapers in each section on the RC-3? These are usually stamped on the case. I stock a few common values, because there was enough demand that I could justify getting made 1,000 of each. If I have what you need, you're in luck.  Unfortunately, BOSS uses some weird combinations that have no application outside of their pedal(s). If that's the case with the RC-3, it gets difficult. Roland is a PITA: They will not sell internal pedal parts to any but their authorized repair facilities. You can ask a local BOSS dealer if they'll order for you, but many are reluctant to help; like Roland, they probably want you to buy a new pedal.

DrT

That looks like the right form factor.  I don't have access to the pedal at the moment, but might be able to get to it in the next week.  If I don't see the values stamped on, I can measure them.  The pots still work, the stem was just broken off.

DrT

Slowpoke101

There is a very real possibility that the pot assembly is actually a digital encoder - two of them.
This may not end well....But I have been wrong before.
  • SUPPORTER

DrT

Thanks small bear.  Looks like the are 50k linear pots.  I ordered one along with 50 transistors.  I foresee a phaser in my future.

Thanks,

DrT

thetragichero

the small bear one works. the only thing is that the one i got the D section did not line up with the pointer on the inner knob, but i don't use that part so i just put the inner knob in a drawer
having the broken pot allowed me to purchase the unit for like 40 bucks

iainpunk

Quote from: DrT on March 20, 2020, 09:14:37 PM
Thanks small bear.  Looks like the are 50k linear pots.  I ordered one along with 50 transistors.  I foresee a phaser in my future.

Thanks,

DrT

my crystal ball says that's the right pot and the phaser is going to be a univibe, but that darn thing is wrong about 50% of the times.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

DrT

I'm planning a 50 stage phase 90 type clone.  The fun is you can play with trim pot to get different numbers of stages going together.   :P

iainpunk

your 50 phase stages should all have their own oscillator, for maximum coolness
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers