3-knob Fuzz Layout for newbz?

Started by DJPsychic, March 21, 2020, 11:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

Yes,
AND
No need to bring the 9V to the switch as it will connect to nothing there without the LED, so leave that out as well:

Ok. I'm going to be using a 9v jack, I just connect + and - to the circuit board then, no need to connect to switch. Will i have any issue with popping?

and I found this layout as well on Fuzz Central. Essentially same as yours just a bit rearranged?

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 26, 2020, 09:22:53 AM
Ok. I'm going to be using a 9v jack, I just connect + and - to the circuit board then, no need to connect to switch.
Correct

Will i have any issue with popping?
Maybe. It depends on the circuit, and if you have a 1M Ohm pull down resistor to ground before the 2.2uF input capacitor.

and I found this layout as well on Fuzz Central. Essentially same as yours just a bit rearranged?

Same arrangement but drawn 'upside down'

The image below shows that a 3PDT switch has two positions and it shows what the 3 middle lugs connect to in either of those two positions:

lug 2 to 3, lug 5 to 6 and lug 8 to 9
OR
lug 2 to 1, lug 5 to 4, and lug 8 to 7

DJPsychic

Oh man, I'm over my head lol

Do I have to ground switch?

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 26, 2020, 09:36:10 AM

Oh man, I'm over my head lol
I've edited my post to explain but you were too quick to reply. :)

DJPsychic

I've edited my post to explain but you were too quick to reply. :)

Sorry Just saw it

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 26, 2020, 09:36:10 AM
Do I have to ground switch?
If it's screwed into a metal enclosure it's grounded.
But I don't think there's a specific need to ground a 3PDT switch.

DJPsychic

If it's screwed into a metal enclosure it's grounded.
But I don't think there's a specific need to ground a 3PDT switch.

Can I ground things anywhere on ground signal or Do you recommend grounding pots on the input jack for instance?

DJPsychic

What is the function of the 100u? This isn't on the Small bear FF schematic...

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 26, 2020, 12:20:51 PM
What is the function of the 100u? This isn't on the Small bear FF schematic...
Power filter, to remove ripple from the adapter.
If you only use a battery, which is common for a Fuzz Face, you can omit it. Batteries have clean power.

DJPsychic

Power filter, to remove ripple from the adapter.
If you only use a battery, which is common for a Fuzz Face, you can omit it. Batteries have clean power.

Cool. I'll most likely have it daisy chained, afraid when I play love (if that ever happens again) I'll have forgotten to change battery  ;)

But if I do omit, I don't need to alter the layout in anyway?

Also when you mentioned adding a cap to prevent switch pop, where would that be located and is that necessary?

edit: does the 100u effect the output sound in anyway?

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 26, 2020, 12:47:46 PM
But if I do omit, I don't need to alter the layout in anyway?
No, you can just leave it out or just leave it in. Doesn't hurt either way. And no layout changes needed. You can put it in afterwards if you like or remove it later on if you want.

Also when you mentioned adding a cap to prevent switch pop, where would that be located and is that necessary?
Resistor, not cap.
The 2.2M resistor, right before the 2.2uF input cap, is the pull down resistor to prevent switch pop. You can also use 1M or 470k.

edit: does the 100u effect the output sound in anyway?
This post explains possible reasons for that 100uF cap, even when using a battery:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=113734.msg1054057#msg1054057
The entire thread is a good read.

DJPsychic

The 2.2M resistor, right before the 2.2uF input cap, is the pull down resistor to prevent switch pop. You can also use 1M or 470k.

Awesome thank you so much. Sorry I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I've had the iron on for over an hour afraid to make the initial solder, just gonna go for it lol

So without the R before C1 I'll have pop?

I'm assuming the resistor as a slight effect on output signal?

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 26, 2020, 02:35:35 PM
So without the R before C1 I'll have pop?
It could.
Here's a page explaining why you can have pop: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pop.htm

DJPsychic

I decided to just go with a 9v. I have 9v + and - directly into board. Do I need to wire 9v to input jack?

Electric Warrior

Yes,
AND
No need to bring the 9V to the switch as it will connect to nothing there without the LED, so leave that out as well:

Ok. I'm going to be using a 9v jack, I just connect + and - to the circuit board then, no need to connect to switch. Will i have any issue with popping?

If you're concerned about popping, you shouldn't wire it up like that. Grounding the input in bypass is hardly any more effort and the superior way achieving true bypass.

j_flanders

Quote from: Electric Warrior on March 26, 2020, 05:45:01 PM
If you're concerned about popping, you shouldn't wire it up like that. Grounding the input in bypass is hardly any more effort and the superior way achieving true bypass.
Correct. It's my fault. I just took any 3PDT bypass image from Google to show how you could omit the status LED part.
It were better if I had choosen one with input (and output) grounding.
So, here you go:

Or

DJPsychic

Ok...here's my ghetto drawing of everything I did (wrong) 

I tried to color coat all of my connections

nocentelli

You need to get rid of the pink wire labelled  L1 (that you have connected to +9V on the board). Connect the black battery snap wire to input jack L1 (the ring connection) instead of the board. The rest looks OK.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

DJPsychic

Quote from: nocentelli on March 27, 2020, 12:56:35 PM
You need to get rid of the pink wire labelled  L1 (that you have connected to +9V on the board). Connect the black battery snap wire to input jack L1 (the ring connection) instead of the board. The rest looks OK.

Ok, I have removed "L1" from +9v

So then what replaces the ground for the board after I remove battery snap??

nocentelli

You have a stereo input jack but a guitar jack (plug) is mono. The battery negative is connected to the ring connection on the input, and there is a connection between the input ground lug ("sleeve") and the circuit board via that pink L2 wire. When you insert the guitar jack into the socket, it bridges the ground/sleeve and ring contacts and connects the battery negative terminal to the circuit. The +9v red wire from the battery is permanently connected to the circuit, but the power circuit is only completed when you have a guitar cable plugged into the input: This prevents the battery from draining when not in use (IF you always remember to unplug the input cable when you finish playing).
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again