Getting tired of the old iron-on transfers - HOME BREW PCB WOES

Started by Kevin Mitchell, March 23, 2020, 09:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

Thanks, the mill was a splurge. I don't think I would have got it if someone had told me there was going to be a massive pandemic in a couple months.

That said, I'm home all the time and have time make things. The reality is most of the time spent ends up in software preparing the files for things that can be made on the mill.

bluebunny

Quote from: soggybag on March 29, 2020, 06:59:11 PM
I don't think I would have got it if someone had told me there was going to be a massive pandemic in a couple months.

Can it make toilet rolls?  ???
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

karbomusic

Just a couple tips if not already mentioned:

-HP Presentation paper is the best transfer medium I've used thus far.
-Picking up a cheap t-shirt press took me to a 99% success rate.
-If you condition it too smooth, there are no crevices to bind to and it will be unstable and flake off in places - don't go smoother than 4x steel wool. If you do this correctly, you only need to rinse and dry with a clean paper towel.

An iron does the job but it's more work, more fiddly and more prone to failure than my t-shirt press; which I can set to specific temp and timer. It really was an etching game changer for me because the heat and pressure is so even compared to an iron. Pop it in, spin it 90 degrees half way through the timer, wait for the beep. Done. I can easily do .012 traces this way which was much more of a crap shoot with an iron.

garcho

^ Nice. A quick glance online shows the cheapest presses to be around 100, 120 bucks. Does that sound right to you? You laser print the HP Presentation paper and voila? Ever try it for transferring graphics to an aluminum enclosure?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Kevin Mitchell

I see that HP presentation paper has a coated matte finish and is about 30% thicker than standard paper - so way more durable than magazine pages. I'll for sure give it a try.

Also jealous of that CNC soggybag is showing off :'(

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

soggybag

My apologies, it wasn't my intention hijack your thread.

CodeMonk

I'm another one that like HP glossy presentation paper.
I used to use glossy photo paper, but the store was out one day, so I tried the HP Glossy Presentation paper.
It worked MUCH better and is about 1/4 the price.

My steps that I have been doing for years:

• #400 abrasive paper on the copper blank. Use small piece in a circular motion.
  • Clean copper with acetone. I use the blue paper shop towels. Keep wiping until towels wipe clean. Have iron already heated up at this point.
  • Use a surface that is as flat as you can get. Some quality MDF usually works good. Don't use a metal surface (wicks to much heat away from board) Have the copper clad on this surface when ironing.
    Also make sure your copper is flat
  • Use iron on hottest setting (cotton I think), gently just to get the paper to stick so it doesn't move around.
  • Iron in a circular motion, applying minimal pressure (to much pressure could cause the toner to spread out a bit).
  • For a board about 3x3, should take only about 30 seconds - 1 minute. When you can make out the traces from the other side of the paper fairly well, you should be done. This step will likely require some experimentation/adjustment
  • Toss in a container of water. 45 minutes is good
  • Rub off paper with fingers. Use a toothbrush to get any remainder

To speed up etching, go to a store that sell fish/pet supplies. Get an air pump, some air stones, some fittings, and some tubing. This really speeds up the etching. Walmart works for me.
I use cheap latex caulking to keep the air stones in place.

I've got a new etching setup waiting to be used, but no work area to do anything in. When I get it setup and running, I'll post a little pictorial here.

bloxstompboxes

Been using the hp presentation paper and a cheap modified Scotch branded laminator to make my boards for years now. Used to use the iron method with mixed results. Now i can get very consistent results. Nice good even pressure with the laminator too. Makes for nice fine lines and round pads that don't look like bullet holes.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

CodeMonk

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on March 31, 2020, 05:58:22 PM
Been using the hp presentation paper and a cheap modified Scotch branded laminator to make my boards for years now. Used to use the iron method with mixed results. Now i can get very consistent results. Nice good even pressure with the laminator too. Makes for nice fine lines and round pads that don't look like bullet holes.

It took me awhile before I could get consistent results with an iron.
But I'm all for making the job better.

What laminator do you use? and from where? cost?
Any tips should I get one?