MultiPedal Guts?

Started by r080, March 23, 2020, 11:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r080

I am planning my first multipedal with a boost, overdrive, and delay. Even using Madbean boards and board mounted pots, it looks like this is going to be a mess.

Does anyone have images of more "production" custom multipedal guts? Companies like JAM pedals, COG Effects, and Henretta Engineering come to mind. I am curious whether companies who do this all the time have a spaghetti mess like I am about to make.
Rob

Kevin Mitchell

The thing is, you're putting 3 boards in one box while the big companies put 3 effects on one board.

No need to fear the spaghetti monsters. They can be tamed  8)
-zip ties lol

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

FUZZZZzzzz

they probably design their pcbs with almost everything mounted on it. probably saves a lot of time as well. and easier to troubleshoot...

also if you want to be able to change the pedalorder its going to be even more spaghetti :)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

ElectricDruid

Planning helps tame spaghetti. Get a big piece of paper and draw the PCBs on it. Draw round them if you like, so you've got it at 1:1 scale. Add the Input and Output connections in the correct places and the switches. Then think about how you wire it up in the simplest way and start drawing wires on it.

And DO IT IN PENCIL!!! After a bit of this process, you'll have something that isn't too bad, and it's a lot easier than mucking about with actual wires. When you come to doing the soldering, think about where the wires can be tied into bundles and make sure the lengths are appropriate. You need enough wire for things to tuck out of the way nicely, but you don't want reams of extra wires stuffed in there.

Good luck!

Mark Hammer

The Madbean Laserwolf packs an overdrive, phaser, and delay onto a single board.  Maybe that's what you're looking for.

r080

I definitely understand most production companies are building one board. However, it looks like JAM, Henretta, and COG are all doing custom combinations of pedals they also sell as singles. I doubt they are putting it all on a single board for those.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.

The laserwolf looks interesting, but I would still want a booster. I have madbean dirtbaby and tubescreamer boards because I already know what they sound like with my gear (and he was having a sale). I am working on a microamp/buffer vero board, and also plan to have an order switch for the boost and overdrive.
Rob

FUZZZZzzzz

Henretta the console.. looks like spaghetti bolognese

r080

I would not have expected that mess.

Doing some googling, it seems like Pickdropper has some of the prettiest multi guts. Examples:

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28685.msg278147#msg278147
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26797910/

Rob

Ben N

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on March 24, 2020, 06:21:28 AM

Doesn't look bad to me. I'll bet that's what some of Pete Cornish's boards look like on the inside. As long as you can see every wire's origin and destination at a glance, you're doing fine.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Ben N on March 24, 2020, 02:13:01 PM
Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on March 24, 2020, 06:21:28 AM
Doesn't look bad to me. I'll bet that's what some of Pete Cornish's boards look like on the inside. As long as you can see every wire's origin and destination at a glance, you're doing fine.

+1 agree. I think that's pretty good too. The pot wiring adds quite a few wires, so perhaps there's something to be said for using PCB mounted pots for this type of build - but then again, that limits your flexibility about where you put stuff, so it's not so simple.
My only criticism of that wiring would probably be that it's all green! What about a bit of colour coding?! Makes it much easier to keep track of what goes where.

Those Pickdropper builds are amazing (note very short pot wiring). Everything done to limit the internal wiring. Lovely work.

FUZZZZzzzz

I don't think its a mess either. I did however expected it to be less offboard wiring for such a big project.

About using only green wire. Maybe he got a good deal? ;)

ElectricDruid

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on March 25, 2020, 04:43:39 PM
About using only green wire. Maybe he got a good deal? ;)

Well, they were certainly bulk-buying, so I hope so!! ;)

davent

Quote from: r080 on March 23, 2020, 11:37:46 AM
I am planning my first multipedal with a boost, overdrive, and delay. Even using Madbean boards and board mounted pots, it looks like this is going to be a mess.

Does anyone have images of more "production" custom multipedal guts? Companies like JAM pedals, COG Effects, and Henretta Engineering come to mind. I am curious whether companies who do this all the time have a spaghetti mess like I am about to make.

See if you can find some Juansolo build photos over at Madbean, he's a master of multi builds and having impeccable layout and wiring using multiple pcb's.
dave

edit; do an advanced search using multi in the search field and juansolo in the By user name field. I tried to direct link the results but the link doesn't work.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced;search=

edit2...
That's not going to work either, appears all his photos have vanished from Madbean so to the source - i hope!

http://80.229.1.38/stompage/multi.html
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

r080

Perfect, thank you. I understand there was a server issue some time ago and the Madbean forum lost all pictures prior to 2015.
Rob

r080

It seems the really neat builds have 2 things in common - switch breakout boards and zip wire.
Rob

vigilante397

Quote from: r080 on March 24, 2020, 11:13:05 AM
Doing some googling, it seems like Pickdropper has some of the prettiest multi guts.

Pickdropper pretty well has the prettiest everything, so this is not a surprise. I miss that guy, I'll have to spend more time on the other forums to see more of his stuff again.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

davent

Spaghetti into art... but don't ever do this to yourself or to the next person to get the pedal, use multiple colours of wire  being consistent in colour use.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18745.msg180662#msg180662

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 26, 2020, 02:56:35 PM
Quote from: r080 on March 24, 2020, 11:13:05 AM
Doing some googling, it seems like Pickdropper has some of the prettiest multi guts.

Pickdropper pretty well has the prettiest everything, so this is not a surprise. I miss that guy, is he still around anywhere? I know he was active on Madbean for a while after he disappeared from here.

He's still around Madbean, posted there today.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

r080

Are any of you aware what size enclosure people normally use for triples? I realized last night my enclosure is a 1590DD size, a half inch shorter than a 1590D. I could really use that extra space for the big jacks I got.
Rob