Klon clone double trouble

Started by Ang3lus, March 23, 2020, 06:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ang3lus

Hey everyone,

after a hiatus of almost 8 years and due to the corona lockdown i'm back building some leftover pedals from when i was building pedals and amps for fun.

i populated these 2 boards (grindcustoms) and have 2 different problems but somewhat related.

on both units the tone and volume controls work fine, bypass is also fine.

in one board(unpictured) I get no gain and when the gain control is fully up i get a bit of treble loss and some minor minor volume loss.
on the 2nd board (pictured) i get no gain unless i strum really hard and use humbuckers.

voltages all check out fine according to voltages i've seen online with klon units, with all ics, my only suspect are the diodes.

differences i made to the units:

1st one(unpictured) i used non-polarized 1uf caps, other than that everything is the same (gain stage is 1uf electros)
2nd one(pictured) i replaced the non-polarized with what i had on hand (3.3uf only for the charge pump part), for the gain stage i used 1uf electros.

here is the pictured unit, hope to get your sage advice.

mickeybellinello

Hi, can you submit some photos?

Anyway.. the pedal works and you have correct voltages right? The problem is that the pedal can't let you have a good distortion right? What about the volume? Do you noticed a volume boost?

I built a clone of the klon and the diodes makes a big differences in this circuit...

Ang3lus

I do have a volume boost yes, just no distortion.

mickeybellinello

Quote from: Ang3lus on March 24, 2020, 06:40:58 AM
I do have a volume boost yes, just no distortion.

Did you used the 1n400x for the clipping stage?

Ang3lus

No, its a protection diode, i used 1n34a diodes for clipping, might be that they are fake ?

mickeybellinello

Quote from: Ang3lus on March 24, 2020, 10:45:12 AM
No, its a protection diode, i used 1n34a diodes for clipping, might be that they are fake ?

I'm sorry but I can't see them where are they?

Anyway, do you have any other ge diode at home?

If it is useful I built a klon too and the first try was with some d9e diode and I got the same issue.

Another thing, I see on the back of the pcb some solder dirt and some hole are black, are you sure that the trace isn't burned?

Ang3lus

They are parallel to the protection diodes

mickeybellinello

Quote from: Ang3lus on March 24, 2020, 12:30:08 PM
They are parallel to the protection diodes

1n34a looks like theese:

I suggest you to socket and try different genuine ge diodes ;)

Ang3lus

I did socket the diodes to no avail, tried different chips also, still no gain, only a volume boost

Ang3lus

Solved it, there is an error in the build doc, c7 and c8 need to be reversed, now the gain pot is backwards, but i get full gain, will need to fix that, probably also a silkscreen error

mickeybellinello

Quote from: Ang3lus on March 24, 2020, 08:05:33 PM
Solved it, there is an error in the build doc, c7 and c8 need to be reversed, now the gain pot is backwards, but i get full gain, will need to fix that, probably also a silkscreen error

Glad to hear that, I got a similar issue with a delay pcb... ;)