Split n Blend Quick Questions

Started by seten, April 13, 2020, 03:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seten

Hey, I need to blend a guitar and bass signal together. Is this my best option? Should I change around the caps for the bass side?
I only have 2n5458's, guessing those will work but wanted to be sure.

Most importantly, since I dont have a send and return how do I modify it? Seems like I would just put guitar in where it says input and bass in where it says send and then pull the return from somewhere in the circuit but i dont know how jfets work yet so I cant figure out where.

Oh and also what are those little red squares? Does that mean im supposed to cut out that part of the tagboard?

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/split-n-blend.html?m=1

idy

The red squares are cuts in the copper strips. I don't think you want a splitter, just a blender. That's called a mixer.

patrick398

Maybe something like this will be better suited:
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/01/2-channel-mixer.html

Are the bass and guitar being mixed and sent to the same amp?

seten

Quote from: patrick398 on April 13, 2020, 03:49:16 PM
Maybe something like this will be better suited:
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/01/2-channel-mixer.html

Are the bass and guitar being mixed and sent to the same amp?

Thanks! I do like the idea of having a single blend knob instead of two level knobs though - I'll do some digging for something like that. Or could I use the one you linked with some sort of dual pot?

Normally I split my signal and put one through an octave into a bass amp and the other goes to a guitar amp. For this theyre being mixed together and that unifed signal is panning between the two amps with a flying pan clone.

I always wondered why any active circuitry needs to be involved at all in a mixer - whats wrong with just using two pots wired as voltage dividers?

antonis

Quote from: seten on April 14, 2020, 02:19:09 AM
I always wondered why any active circuitry needs to be involved at all in a mixer - whats wrong with just using two pots wired as voltage dividers?

Impedance (mis)matching.. :icon_wink:

Consider pots wipers shorthed.. 1st pot out goes to 2nd pot in (and vice-versa) through both upper resistances (Lug 3 to wiper).. So, each one of them loads the other one..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

seten

Quote from: antonis on April 14, 2020, 05:34:50 AM

Consider pots wipers shorthed.. 1st pot out goes to 2nd pot in (and vice-versa) through both upper resistances (Lug 3 to wiper).. So, each one of them loads the other one..

ah i (think) i see. on a similar note, I'm splitting my signal with a passive box thats just 3 jacks with all the tips connected, sending one to a bass fx chain to bass amp and the other to guitar fx chain to guitar amp. I havent noticed any issues but would I be better off with a buffered splitter? Not concerned about volume loss since im not switching it but could I be getting some tone suck or noise that I've just gotten used to?

iainpunk

Quote from: seten on April 14, 2020, 12:08:33 PM
Quote from: antonis on April 14, 2020, 05:34:50 AM

ah i (think) i see. on a similar note, I'm splitting my signal with a passive box thats just 3 jacks with all the tips connected, sending one to a bass fx chain to bass amp and the other to guitar fx chain to guitar amp. I havent noticed any issues but would I be better off with a buffered splitter? Not concerned about volume loss since im not switching it but could I be getting some tone suck or noise that I've just gotten used to?

i have done something similar for my band for a long time, i just used a boss pedal before the splitter and just left it off, this was adequate enough as a buffer.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: seten on April 14, 2020, 12:08:33 PM
on a similar note, I'm splitting my signal with a passive box thats just 3 jacks with all the tips connected, sending one to a bass fx chain to bass amp and the other to guitar fx chain to guitar amp. I havent noticed any issues but would I be better off with a buffered splitter? Not concerned about volume loss since im not switching it but could I be getting some tone suck or noise that I've just gotten used to?

Now you're talking about spiltter..
(and not mixer, as previously..)  :icon_wink:

Passive splitting works quite well, as long as splitted signals go to entirely different inputs..
For almost infinite input imedances, splitting is almost perfect..

Both Bass & Guitar amps exhibit quite hign input impedance so there practically isn't any interaction between splitted signals..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

seten