Simple ON/OFF switch

Started by decal1028, March 26, 2020, 12:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decal1028

Hi All,

I just want to build a simple stompbox that's just an ON/OFF, and I don't know what kind of switch I need.

It will just have one 1/4 jack, I will use a standard instrument cable to run to my PA to turn the internal effects ON and OFF.

Is that a SPST? DPDT? I have no idea! Just a simple switch (latching) with a decent "click".

Thanks

Ice-9

You would really need to tell us what the PA/mixer is that you want the switch to turn on or off is. There is likely a user manual that tells you the type of switching need and with that information we can help you.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

decal1028

Thanks Ice -

It's a Mackie ProFX12, here's the text from the manual about the "FOOTSWITCH" input, and I'll post a pic as well. Just a standard 1/4 input.

16. FX FOOTSWITCH
This 1/4" TRS connector is where you can connect
your favorite footswitch. This will allow you to easily
mute or un-mute the internal effects.

Nitefly182

If there is a footswitch jack on the mixer to turn the effects on and off its almost surely just a switch that makes or breaks a connection between the tip and sleeve. If that's the case you just need any latching switch and a jack. Solder one set of poles on the switch to the tip and sleeve of the jack.

Edit - a little strange that its calling for a TRS configuration there. The switching may be more complex than I suggest above but it still seems unlikely. Try plugging a guitar cable into that jack and using a paper clip or other piece of metal to short across the tip and sleeve to see if that turns the effects on and off.

decal1028

Nitefly,

Yes, it is indeed that simple, I plugged in a guitar cable and I can Mute/Unmute the effects by shorting across the tip and sleeve.

So...what kind of switch do I buy? SPST? Any heavy duty switch with 2 or 3 terminals (Can't imagine it would have more than that) and then just experiment?

About the only thing I'm sure of is I want latching, like a standard stompbox.

Thanks all, sorry I'm such a noob.

Ice-9

2 options here, if you have to hold the connection to bypass and release connection for effect then a SPDT latching switch
If each touch switches between effect and bypass then momentary switch is good
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: decal1028 on March 26, 2020, 01:04:25 PM
So...what kind of switch do I buy? SPST? Any heavy duty switch with 2 or 3 terminals (Can't imagine it would have more than that) and then just experiment?

About the only thing I'm sure of is I want latching, like a standard stompbox.

You've pretty much answered your own question there - a latching SPST would do nicely. Connect it up between the tip and the sleeve and off you go.

PRR

> a little strange that its calling for a TRS configuration there.

Yes; but it says the jack is TRS. It does not say the R is wired. Looking at the back of that box, 9/10 of the holes support balanced audio, so must be TRS. Considering cost and factory confusion, they may have just used TRS everywhere. They didn't have to tell the user that it is a TRS, but that cat is out of the bag.

• SUPPORTER