"69" FF Build issues

Started by DJPsychic, March 29, 2020, 02:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

Just built a "69"-ish FF, I got it pretty wrangled in. Lowered output cap to reduce bass slightly, sounds nice. Also changed a few other components.

My issue is the pedal only sounds decent when Fuzz is cranked to max, otherwise it's super muddy. I know FF are by nature dark and muddy, but there is no tonal definition unless cranked with guitar vol turned back . Was wondering if there any tips on cleaning up a little better with fuzz less than max.

DJPsychic

Just built a "69"-ish FF, I got it pretty wrangled in, switched out a few components here and there huge improvement from where I startes.

1) My issue is the pedal only sounds decent when Fuzz is cranked to max, otherwise it's super muddy. I know FF are by nature dark and muddy, but there is no tonal definition unless fuzz is cranked. And yes I know "turn the guitar volume down". Speaking more on having usable tones with fuzz dialed down a bit. Any tips on cleaning up a little better with fuzz less than max? Maybe a treble mod?

2) Is it normal for an unenclosed pedal to be super noisy? sort of like an unplugged guitar sound.

Ripthorn

A common mod to address your first issue is to put an input volume pot. This acts like the guitar's volume, without having to use the guitar's volume pot. Beyond that, I can't help you much, as I am not a fuzz type of guy.

For the second, it can happen, particularly if the grounding is inconsistent, the power is unfiltered, or if you have something emitting strong RF noise nearby. Enclosing it is not a guarantee, but it will help with external noise sources as long as the enclosure is grounded. Poor grounding or unfiltered power will not be fixed by an enclosure.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

DJPsychic

The build already has an additional pot at input before C1, but thank you for the suggestion!

rutabaga bob

Using shielded wire to/from jacks?
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

DJPsychic

Yes. I'm going to box it up once I get it dialed. Hopefully boxing will get rid of some of the noise.

I also ordered some 1k reverse audio pots. That might help stretch the fuzz out a little wider.

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 29, 2020, 02:32:40 PM
1) My issue is the pedal only sounds decent when Fuzz is cranked to max, otherwise it's super muddy. I know FF are by nature dark and muddy, but there is no tonal definition unless fuzz is cranked. And yes I know "turn the guitar volume down". Speaking more on having usable tones with fuzz dialed down a bit. Any tips on cleaning up a little better with fuzz less than max? Maybe a treble mod?
On the Fuzz Faces that I tried, they loose a lot of treble the moment you turn down the fuzz pot.
Even just 15 or 20 Ohm of resistance (out of that 1000 Ohm fuzz pot) cuts treble very noticably.
Most Fuzz Face users keep the fuzz pot maxed out.

On my current build I didn't even use a pot and just hardwired a 1k resistor. I'm never using that pot anyway on that build, I have it always maxed out.
But as you noticed, with the max fuzz/gain not only comes the extra treble but also the extra noise and lesser cleanup with the guitar volume knob.

On another FF that has higher gain transistors and where I do need to turn down the fuzz pot to have somewhat acceptable cleanup with the guitar"s volume knob, I added a capacitor parallel to the 100k feedback resistor (from Q2 emitter to Q1 base) to compensate for the treble loss.

On another build that has the 1k fuzz pot/resistor hardwired and which has much lower gain transistors I added a bias control instead of the usual 8k2 resistor on the collector of Q2.
I find that with much lower resistance for the Q2 collector I get much better cleanup with the guitar.
So, instead of using the fuzz pot to control the fuzziness and guitar's cleanup I use a bias control pot. This way I can dial it in for several guitars and have good cleanup for each.
It also offers the possibility to bias it towards a sputtery gated fuzz at the other end of the spectrum.

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 29, 2020, 02:32:40 PM
2) Is it normal for an unenclosed pedal to be super noisy? sort of like an unplugged guitar sound.
Yes, but a FF with the fuzz/gain maxed out will still be somewhat noisy even when enclosed but it'll be a lot better.
It will cut down the 'unplugged guitar sound' but the hiss will still be there though.

j_flanders

DJPsychic

DJPsychic

Awesome thank you for the tips. I think I might replace fuzz pot with a 1k like you mentioned. I have it wired like the "69" Fuller so will have to move some things around.

I accidentally put a 1k where the 33k is supposed to go. I've been putting a 1k at the 470 to increase volume lately so mustv'e got my resistors mixed up.

Still sounds really nice though.

DJPsychic