Channel switching rack effects

Started by diocide, March 29, 2020, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diocide

Got a question.

I've got a person looking to rackmount one of my pedal designs. I've done it before, and that's not an issue. It's a high gain preamp style pedal.

The question I have is that they want it to have a "clean" channel in addition and be able to switch back forth between the two with a footswitch.

I can wrap my head around doing this within an enclosure, but the fact that it needs to be remotely controlled is throwing me off. I can make up a simple PCB for the "clean" channel (I'm thinking a simple 4558 type preamp, but the switching is something I'm jot sure how to approach.

Any thoughts? Or links to something that might be helpful? Or is there anyone who makes a utility board that facilitates something like this?

GibsonGM

Latching relay?  Then you need only switch power, signal is not involved WRT the long cable run....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

knutolai

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 29, 2020, 05:32:47 PM
Latching relay?  Then you need only switch power, signal is not involved WRT the long cable run....
This is definitely the way to go about it. Use a telecom relay for best "click" noise result. I use relay switching controlled by microcontrollers. Let me know if you need parts/code recommendations :)