Aion Horizon - Pedal works, LED does not work.

Started by broomhandle, March 29, 2020, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broomhandle

Aion Horizon - Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk. I build.

Everything works. except the LED. I can not get it to work. I have tried a few various LED. Any thoughts? LED resistor?

bluebunny

Quote from: broomhandle on March 29, 2020, 08:43:27 PM
Everything works. except the LED.

Where is the LED?  ???   I was expecting to see it soldered in to the stompswitch daughterboard.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

As far as I can see, CLR is 470R so LED current should be about 15mA or so..

Check for left resistor leg & V+ continuity, then for right resistor leg & LED anode pad (round) and finally for LED cathode pad (squared) & 3PDT switch upper middle lug..
If all the above are OK and LED still doesn't work, I should short LED pads (via a jumper) and measure for 9V voltage drop across CLR..

P.S.
Don't get me wrong but is LED polarity right placement verified..??  :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

as blue sez, where is the led? and as antonis sez, looks like a 4k7 CLR, so aboot 1.5mA led current. have you tested your leds before soldering them in? there are many sources of leds these days that have basically no polarity markings on - the body mouldings are wrong, or the die is on the wrong lead, or the long leg is the short leg .....

test first, then solder.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on March 30, 2020, 09:57:46 AM
and as antonis sez, looks like a 4k7 CLR, so aboot 1.5mA led current.

Antonis sez, looks like 470R but has realized it actually is 47R (yellow, violet, black)..!!

That said, current should be 150mA and it's most possible that LEDs are blown out just when engaged..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

come on, antonis, ALL the bands - yellow violet black brown brown. 4 7 0 0 1%

broomhandle

haha. the LED is not there because none of them worked. and so that make sense if I was blowing each one. damn. I threw them back in the pile...

So, to confirm. I messed up the LED-R correct?

PRR

> I was blowing each one. damn. I threw them back in the pile... I messed up the LED-R correct?

You *need* an LED tester.

• SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on March 30, 2020, 10:46:42 AM
come on, antonis, ALL the bands - yellow violet black brown brown. 4 7 0 0 1%

Ouch...  :icon_redface:

My turn now:  :icon_mrgreen:

In case of tolerance band is indeed Brown (which I believe doesn't stand - but never mind..) resistor exhibits 2% tolerance..

P.S.
Cider as always..??  :icon_rolleyes:

antonis

Quote from: broomhandle on March 30, 2020, 10:46:04 PM
and so that make sense if I was blowing each one. damn. I threw them back in the pile...

That was my bad (about blown LEDs), but it's easy to measure LED-R value just as it is..

Was there any chance to use high current LEDs..??
(some of old standard 5mm diameter LEDs don't brighten enough with currents lower than 3-4 mA, say )

duck_arse

at antonis - BROWN? arghh, my eyes!!

Quote from: broomhandle on March 30, 2020, 10:46:04 PM
haha. the LED is not there because none of them worked. and so that make sense if I was blowing each one. damn. I threw them back in the pile...

So, to confirm. I messed up the LED-R correct?

you need your led tester and all those leds back. test them, if they don't work, reverse the cnnections. still doesn't work? throw into the rubbish bin. and you always need a resistor in series to stop the led failing, quickly and permanently.

where's my cider?

broomhandle

so to confirm. My LED resistor should be a 4.7k and is not? I look at my shipment from tayda for 4.7k R's and they are all the same color.

bean

You already have a 4k7 in there. Insert an LED loose in the pads. Don't solder it. Engage the pedal. Push on the LED to make sure it is contacting both pads. Doesn't light up? Reverse the LED as duck said. Actually, it looks like your cathode (short lead) is meant to go to the square pad.

broomhandle

I have done that. I know the long led goes to the square. I tried 4 led's. all no good. that is why the photo has no LED.

I thought you guys stated I had a wrong resistor in a certain area.

Slowpoke101

Do you have access to a multimeter?
A few measurements may help diagnose the problem.
Some possible problems may be that the foot-switch has a faulty contact or there is no voltage for the LED.
  • SUPPORTER

willienillie

Quote from: broomhandle on March 31, 2020, 07:33:56 PM
I know the long led goes to the square.

I think Mr. Bean is correct, that the short leg goes to the square pad.  I'm not clear on whether you've tried that yet, but if not, please do.  If that doesn't work, you should check for DC voltage at the LED resistor.  I don't think your LEDs have been exposed to power conditions that would damage them, when you fry one it's usually pretty obvious.

antonis

Quote from: broomhandle on March 31, 2020, 07:33:56 PM
I thought you guys stated I had a wrong resistor in a certain area.

There isn't "wrong" or "right" resistor as far as you(we) don't know what kind of LED you use..
In case of LED is part of the kit, CLR value should be OK..

Anyway, solder some kind of pin (10mm of solid wire, say) on each PCB LED pad..
Clamp on each pin an alligatobetween +9V and GND by shorting free end alligator clips and measuring voltage drop across LED-R..
(you should measure about +/-9V, depending on probes placement)
Clamp clips on LED legs..
If brighten, then mark legs polarity and solder them on respective pads
If not, reverse legs clamping..
If brighten, proceed as above..
If not again, check LED current specifications..

broomhandle

So...

the LED works backwards. with the long leg on the neg sid. Short leg on pos (square) hole.

Would there be a reason for this? or is something messed up on my board?

I really don't notice anything. Its not my fav pedal. I feel I have to turn the gain way up to get anything.

but I guess, just install the LED backwards? or i screwed up something... ???

willienillie

It's not backwards or messed up.  Some PCB makers prefer to put the square pad on the cathode of a diode, some on the anode, some have no square pads at all.