Aion Azimuth - pass thru and LED. nothing when engaged.

Started by broomhandle, March 29, 2020, 08:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broomhandle

Aion Azimuth - Hermida / Lovepedal Zendrive build.

pass thru works and LED when engaged.. but no sound. just dead.

any thoughts? fixing old projects while stuck at home... :)

I have no idea where to start...

Zen:

bluebunny

Quote from: broomhandle on March 29, 2020, 08:51:39 PM
I have no idea where to start...

Right here.   :)

You might want to consider splitting this into two threads, in case it gets confusing.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

also, it appears you have omitted a ground wire to one jack in each build. each jack gets a ground wire, then we don't worry about that particular build killer.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

broomhandle

haha. awesome. which ground wire?

and that would make sense. I built these the same time.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote from: broomhandle on March 30, 2020, 10:49:18 PM
haha. awesome. which ground wire?

that's a good question, but seeing as the ground wire isn't there, I can't answer. each jack on every build gets a ground wire, and then you don't need to worry if the case is grounding between the two, or if the paint is insulating them and causing symptoms like yours reported.

broomhandle

I cleaned up the Zen ground. And still no go. I did the same with the DS-1. and no go.

pictures of Zen:

Ds1:

duck_arse

I don't wish to appear rude, but both those pedals still show a jack, input, output, I don't know which/won't guess/can't squint to see - with a ground/sleeve lug with nothing connected to it.

each jack, whether input or output, mono or stereo, boxed or open, on the left or on the right, needs a connection to common, ground, earth. a wire [any colour will do] soldered to the sleeve lug, and then to the circuit ground, or the supply jack ground, or some other ground will complete the grounding requirements for that jack. don't rely on the case to ground one jack to the other.

antonis

If you please, proceed as below..
(don't make Stephen to appear rude..) :icon_redface:

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

broomhandle

I see. I will do that. so, in Aion's instructions. There is no ground to the other jack. I have built a few others with no ground...

I will add the ground.

broomhandle

I added a ground to each. Still no go. It has to be something dumb I did on both. But I just can not see it.

DS1:

Zen:

patrick398

On the Zen, pin 2 of the volume pot is a big blob of solder. That's your circuit output so worth reflowing.
Similarly on the DS-1 the pot pins don't look great, too little solder on some pads, too much on others, i'd re-solder them.

antonis

Marcos - Munky

Post the voltages on each pin of the IC. Black probe to ground, red probe to each pin. This should give us a clue.

Also, do you know how to do an audio probe?

duck_arse

excellent. you now have a complete but non-funcioning pedal. and you can rule out a missing ground as the problem. re-evaluate the problem and restate the symptoms, please. voltage checks, results of audio probing, etc.

broomhandle

I will re-flow the pots. as for volt meter. I am not the best with that. What setting would I set it to get values?

as for the IC socket. I made these in 2017 when I was sick. and sick for all of 2018. I learned later about IC sockets. haha. I have made 10 pedals total. these are the only 2 I made in 2017. :)

thats why I feel I probably screwed up something for these 2.

antonis

As long as you get DC voltage readings, Pots settings don't make any difference..

DIY Bass

For your multimeter you will want DC voltage settings.  Depending on what meter you have you may just have a DC vollt setting and that is it.  If you have ranges in the DC voltage settings then we are dealing usually with up to about 9V, so the lowest range that is higher than 9V will give the most precision.  Usually that will be 20V DC

broomhandle

I just wanted to say thank you for helping me guys. :)

attached are my values when the pedal is engaged and the LED is on.

willienillie