Stereo Tape Delay

Started by LaughinBones, March 30, 2020, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaughinBones

Hello, this is my first visit to this wonderful site, so I apologize in advance if this is wrong in some way.

My goal is to build a stereo tape delay.  I have 3 ideas:

1)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABU-psBnmxk
This might be the most clear cut idea, but I feel 1/4" tape is going to sound much better.

2)  Build something like Idea 1, but with a 1/4" tape recorder.  There's an Akai M-8 available locally, would that work?

3)  Would there be any way to modify an existing 1/4" tape delay?  I own a Space Echo (RE-150) already, which has 2 playback heads. Any way to send those 2 heads to different outputs?  I absolutely love the Fulltone TTE, which is my favorite sound.  If we could make that happen, well, I'd be in heaven!

Any suggestions, other ideas, or help of any kind would be much appreciated!!!

LaughinBones

Digital Larry

I have a couple Teac 4 track reel to reel machines just sitting there gathering dust.  A couple of unopened Ampex Grand Master reels from when I worked at Ampex around 1984.  Have never even powered them on or tried to use the tape, I'm somewhat afraid that age will have rendered it useless.  I'm sure there's some entertainment value in what you're after, but a lot of work to get there.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

amptramp

If you want a variable tape delay, either you have to make a variable mechanical adjustment at the record or playback head that allows you to vary the separation between heads or a variable speed tape drive that allows you to set it for slow (long delay) to fast (short delay).  This is a considerable undertaking, which is why you don't see tape delays that often, but if you have a limited range of delay adjustment, it could be done.  You will need good metalworking skills for a moveable record or playback head mount or a variable speed motor controller that works with your motor and neither of these implementations are easy.

LaughinBones

Thanks y'all. I guess this might be harder than I thought...