Pot numbering on layouts

Started by DJPsychic, March 30, 2020, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

Super noob back again. Are the pots usually numbered facing the front or back?

Thank you as always pedal wizards

j_flanders

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 30, 2020, 03:41:29 PMAre the pots usually numbered facing the front or back?
Yes, front or back.

garcho

It took me a while to remember the numbers of the lugs for some reason. Maybe i'm just kinda slow. But i finally got it when i thought of the side with the shaft as the front, since it's what faces you with a knob on it when you use it. The other part to remember is the lugs need to be below the shaft (when you're looking at it) for the numbering to be 1,2,3, left to right. If they're facing up, it's backwards. Fun huh? You'll get used to it after a while.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

DJPsychic

Quote from: garcho on March 30, 2020, 04:24:15 PM
It took me a while to remember the numbers of the lugs for some reason. Maybe i'm just kinda slow. But i finally got it when i thought of the side with the shaft as the front, since it's what faces you with a knob on it when you use it. The other part to remember is the lugs need to be below the shaft (when you're looking at it) for the numbering to be 1,2,3, left to right. If they're facing up, it's backwards. Fun huh? You'll get used to it after a while.

I can't speak for you, but I am slow. I feel like I've seen layouts where the pots are numbered in reverse as well, so never sure

Thanks!

DJPsychic

Quote from: j_flanders on March 30, 2020, 03:48:33 PM
Quote from: DJPsychic on March 30, 2020, 03:41:29 PMAre the pots usually numbered facing the front or back?
Yes, front or back.

Kinda hoping I wired pots wrong, would explain why It doesn't make sound  ;D

Thanks!

iainpunk

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 30, 2020, 04:53:10 PM

I can't speak for you, but I am slow. I feel like I've seen layouts where the pots are numbered in reverse as well, so never sure

Thanks!

if you are talking about the proco RAT, the tone pot should be reversed, just like the original.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

patrick398

The other part to remember is the lugs need to be below the shaft (when you're looking at it) for the numbering to be 1,2,3, left to right. If they're facing up, it's backwards. Fun huh? You'll get used to it after a while.

You just saved me a lot of money!

patrick398

Hang on, i think when it comes to PCB mount pots it doesn't matter if they're upside down no?
I've got a few boards with upside down pots and they're also bottom mounted so it's making my head hurt. But what's connected to pin 1 on the schematic is connected to pin 1 on the pcb irregardless...so it's fine if they're upside down? Or maybe it's not? God i don't know anymore

garcho

^ of course it's fine! And of course, lug 1 is always lug 1. It's just a matter of what perspective you have vs. the pot. I only meant that if you hold it with the lugs pointing upward, the lugs are numbered from left to right, 3,2,1. If you hold it with lugs pointing downward, it's 1,2,3. That is, if you're holding it with the shaft pointed at your face. One way to slow the confusion down while building is to hit the backs of the lugs or the pot casing with some kind of marker on lug 1. Then you'll always know which is which, no matter what your perspective. It can get a little hairy while cramming everything in, real easy to make mistakes.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

bluebunny

Quote from: DJPsychic on March 30, 2020, 04:54:05 PM
Kinda hoping I wired pots wrong, would explain why It doesn't make sound  ;D

Putting a pot in backwards won't stop it working.  You'll still get sound (all other things being equal).  But for log/antilog pots you might find that it doesn't feel natural when you turn it: all the audible changes may appear bunched at one end or the other.  For linear (and log) pots, you might find that "loud" or "deep" is at the wrong end.  But it still makes sound!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

do potlegs have numbers now? so I can't use ccw and cw and w any more?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

PRR

> I can't use ccw and cw and w any more?

No. Some people live other side of equator, and their drains spin the other way around.

I always liked an arrow pointing to the pin nearer "UP", which could be interpreted to local expectations.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

The easy way to remember the pot number is to visualize a volume control dialed  to "10" which is the highest number setting.   At 10 the volume control connects the wiper (2)  to pin 3, which is the highest number terminal.
When looking from the front, 10 is when you wind the knob clockwise ie. max-out the volume control

To workout the physical pin:  Look at the pot from the front.  Imagine what is going on inside.  When you max-out the pot to "10"  the wiper moves clockwise around the track and it will eventually hit the end-stop.   That will be pin 3.
Look at this pic, which is viewed from the front:

See figure 6 for the schematic.  Plenty of other info there as well.
https://sound-au.com/pots.htm
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

duck_arse

Quote from: PRR on March 31, 2020, 04:30:48 PM

No. Some people live other side of equator, .....

who? who would be so foolish?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.