Analog Fox Easy Vibe Ticking Fix?

Started by jsrfo, April 04, 2020, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsrfo

This is also posted in an old thread, but I thought here would get some attention.

So, I have an actual Analog Fox Easy Vibe, bought basically to find out what makes it work.

The odd thing I have noticed, and I am hoping someone can help with is that the ticking I've read about is present in my Easy Vibe, but there's a funny twist.

I was discussing this with a friend that is my amp tech, and went on to demonstrate the ticking. I put the Easy Vibe in my amplifier's effect loop, fired it all up. I generally put modulation effects in the effect loop. Well, no ticking. None at all.

This puzzled me and as we were talking, I started to assume it was the power outlet or something in my house where my gear is. I broke this set up all down, but before I left, I said I wanted to try one more time. So, I set it back up, and there was the tick....

Now it took a minute, but I realized the difference this time was that I put the Easy Vibe in front of the amp, not in the effect loop. So, Guitar>Easy Vibe>Amp and it ticks. It's only present when the pedal is in front of the amp.

So this became evident only because the amp I took to the amp tech had the effect loop. It's generally set up with my pedal board, and I don't mess with it too much.

My initial use of the Easy Vibe was on some older, mid 1960's amps that don't have effects loops, so they didn't have the effect loop capability.

Anyway, to summarize, using this Easy Vibe in the effect loops has no ticks, but in front of the amp it ticks. Does anyone have any idea why that would occur? Again, this is the Russian Analog Fox Easy Vibe, not a vero or something I built.

JerS

Tick on the Hollis Easyvibe circuit is common. It would be amplified more if the pedal was in front of the amp instead of the effect loop (which could explain why you heard it when it was in front of the amp).
A simple fix is to solder a large cap (100uf or more) across the power pins of the LFO opamp in the pedal. I have build many Easyvibes and this has been the cure. I should also mention that using the TL064 chip instead of the TL074 makes a difference because the 064 draws less current....does not seem to produce the ticking as loudly.

iainpunk

or maybe its because of the output impedance of guitar, have you tried this with a buffered effect in front of the easyvibe?
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers