Author Topic: Absolute beginner true bypass loop help!  (Read 791 times)

dylanburrett

Absolute beginner true bypass loop help!
« on: April 13, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
Hi all, I am a musician turned tinkerer and I have just bought my first true bypass looper kit off amazon. Of course there are no instructions and the chinese company has no website or anything, I've found several useful diagrams but can't seem to figure out a couple embarrassingly simple things. First off for a 3pdt switch, there is a number 8 assigned to one of the switches. I can't seem to figure out how to determine exactly what the other 8 numbers are on the switch. Secondly, it came with these 1/4" jacks and I can't figure out which one is the Tip, ring or sleeve. If there is a way to figure that out using a voltmeter, that would be incredible. Thanks!

bluebunny

Re: Absolute beginner true bypass loop help!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:09:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a link to this kit?  Can you also post the diagrams that you have found?  Pin 8 could be absolutely anywhere on that switch: there's no hard and fast standard (there are several soft and slow - that's the problem!).

To work out the pins on that jack, plug in a stereo lead and check for continuity between tip, ring and screen for each of those three terminals (though it's clear that the one at the front is the screen).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 05:06:17 AM »
hi, welcome, i wouldn't get hung up on the 'pin 8'  its a standard 3pdt.

when wiring the the 3pdt switch the solder lugs need to be ''horizontal'' not vertical. (which im sure youve seen on various diagrams)

i bought one of these ''dual'' looper kits...as it was actually cheaper to buy it than build from scratch...its a handy tool.

as marc says plug a lead in the socket, and use a meter to 'beep' the tip of the lead, and find which tip of the jack 'beeps' ....then your good to go.  the sleeve/gnd is obviously closest to the opening.

good luck .
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

antonis

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:15:11 AM »
Welcome also..

3PDT switch numbering can be like below:

Of course, flipping it 1800, 9 goes to 1, 8 goes to 2, 6 goes to 4, etc
(the only fixed lug is the middle one, No 5)

It's precise orientation doesn't actually matter, 'cause its button is always "up" after pushing it down..
(On-On..)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:16:58 AM by antonis »
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

dylanburrett

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:53:28 PM »
Hey all, thanks for the replies. Definitely can figure out the jack situation with the help. As for the switch, Someone asked to see this kit, this is the link to the kit I bought. It's literally the only thing I can find about it. Someone else showed a diagram of a 3pdt switch, and the problem is, where the number 8 shows up on my switch doesn't match any other diagram I've seen. Also the picture turned on its side for some reason, I am aware of the "horizontal" aspect of the switch. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01D0VOA88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again for welcoming me everyone!

deadastronaut

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:04:35 PM »
ignore the '8'..

it will still behave as standard as antonis showed above... :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:27:04 PM by deadastronaut »
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »
ignore the '8'..

^^ This.

"8" is arbitrary.  Searching for it will prove fruitless.  Just learn from Antonis' diagram how the switch works - ignore the labels (they're just confusing).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 05:37:07 AM »
Just learn from Antonis' diagram how the switch works - ignore the labels (they're just confusing).

Also, just learn from lazyguy's (cheers Rob..) diagramm how the switch is wired - ignore the comments - for pop-silence.. :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..