Merlin Blancowe bone ray tone stack

Started by Renegadrian, April 16, 2020, 02:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Strange there's really little on the net about that...curious as I am, tried it (made a quick vero with a standard bjt gain stage a la lpb1 driving it) and find it a nice starting point...what I find is that at maximum middle rotation, the tilt control seems to do very little, while at 0 it cuts a lot, best thing would be a small resistance in place of the pot.

Anyone else tried this tone control!?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

marcelomd

Look into Quilter amps. They have some pretty different tone knobs.

The Tri-Q knob on the guitar amps does (full ccw to cw) mid scoop -> flat -> low cut. There is a second tone knob that is a simple high cut.

The bass amp has a low cut/boost and a Contour knob that does mid scoop -> flat -> high cut.

tubegeek

Quote from: Renegadrian on April 16, 2020, 02:56:40 PM
Anyone else tried this tone control!?

I built one into a miniature tube preamp I built last year. I haven't used it a lot - it was at the beginning of a wave of new projects and kinda got rolled over by other stuff. I liked the tone stack a lot - some very interesting and different sounds as far as I could tell. More experience definitely needed on my part but super-promising for sure. It was easy to build up neatly on a small strip of perf anchored to the pots.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR