Mosfet reverse polarity, voltage drop down

Started by baloubass, April 25, 2020, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baloubass

Hello guys, i'm trying to design a power filtering with a reverse polarity protection using a mosfet as the old and very good RG article.

Mosfet:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irfr9024npbf.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a401535635f91d2132

For the test i make a veroboard and use a reverb circuit based on the btdr3h.

-Output power supply voltage: 9.42v.
-Voltage at V+ and VB+ with anything connected: 9.42V
-Voltage at V+ and VB+ with the circuit connected: 8.05v

1)Does anyone can explain me why the voltage down at 8.05v please?
2)Does this voltage down can affect the circuit operation?
3)Do you gus have a suggestion to not have this voltage loss?
Thank you so much.

antonis

Μπαλούμπα, nobody biases either p or n channel  MosFet with its Gate to GND in case of he wish for low RD(on)..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

baloubass

Quote from: antonis on April 25, 2020, 02:50:17 PM
Μπαλούμπα, nobody biases either p or n channel  MosFet with its Gate to GND in case of he wish for low RD(on)..

Bad english sorry, van you explain please?

antonis

Quote from: baloubass on April 25, 2020, 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: antonis on April 25, 2020, 02:50:17 PM

Bad english sorry, van you explain please?

Bad quote too.. :icon_wink:

Anyway, a p-channel MosFet needs a negative Gate-Source voltage bias to work in its "saturation" (no channel variable resistance) region..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

R.G.

In your schematic, the drain and source of the mosfet are reversed from what they should be.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

baloubass

Quote from: R.G. on April 25, 2020, 03:37:24 PM
In your schematic, the drain and source of the mosfet are reversed from what they should be.
Ok i have mirror it in fact?

baloubass

[/quote]
Bad quote too.. :icon_wink:

Anyway, a p-channel MosFet needs a negative Gate-Source voltage bias to work in its "saturation" (no channel variable resistance) region..
[/quote]
😂😂 French T9 to write in english not help me.
What i have to do? Apply a voltage on the gate viaba resistor ?

antonis

Maybe, by declaring your nationality, some forum member could help you in written.. :icon_wink:

baloubass

Quote from: antonis on April 25, 2020, 03:59:34 PM
Maybe, by declaring your nationality, some forum member could help you in written.. :icon_wink:
Done, and what i have to do, apply a voltage via a voltage divider

antonis

Do what R.G. noticed..
> the drain and source of the mosfet are reversed from what they should be.<

Drain should face R4 & Source face +9V..

baloubass

Thank for the video.

Quote from: antonis on April 25, 2020, 04:43:29 PM
Do what R.G. noticed..
> the drain and source of the mosfet are reversed from what they should be.<

Drain should face R4 & Source face +9V..

Quote from: R.G. on April 25, 2020, 03:37:24 PM

Ok i will reverse the thing tomorrow. But i dont understand, because in all schematic i have seen, the +9v connect to the "D" and the circuit to the "S" pin according Drain(in), Source(out). i don't understand what i'm do wrong.

antonis

Your schematic has some flaws, like LED cathode pointing to +9V instead of GND, so plz verify first all "proper" polarities.. :icon_wink:

baloubass

Quote from: antonis on April 26, 2020, 05:55:11 AM
Your schematic has some flaws, like LED cathode pointing to +9V instead of GND, so plz verify first all "proper" polarities.. :icon_wink:

Ok, i just write this schematic to make this post, for people see my global idea. I'm not take time etc... just for power section. So i don't think the reverse led on the schematic are   the source of my problem. On the veroboard i just put the power section.

baloubass

The reason I lost my voltage came from the RC filter I wanted to do. When i loaded the the voltage down at R4 in relation with the current.
Does anyone have a way to make a filter without loss voltage?

baloubass

Thank R.G.
find the answer in an old post about balance between :
-RC filter voltage loss due to the current load.
-Desired frequency cut off.
-Space in the box.

See here (answer 19):https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80063.0

antonis

Quote from: baloubass on April 25, 2020, 12:58:46 PM

Judging from your schematic, in case of voltage drop due to low-pass filter resistors, V+ & VB SHOULDN'T exhibit identical voltage drop..!!
(unless, of course, VB output provides zero current..)

baloubass

Quote from: antonis on April 26, 2020, 10:13:42 AM
Quote from: baloubass on April 25, 2020, 12:58:46 PM

Judging from your schematic, in case of voltage drop due to low-pass filter resistors, V+ & VB SHOULDN'T exhibit identical voltage drop..!!
(unless, of course, VB output provides zero current..)

VB+ are connected only on the buffer section with just a 5088, the current are ridiculous.
V+ are connected with the other section contain the belton brick with lot of current.

I had checked with an overdrive circuit and the voltage loss something around 0.7v, less current than the belton.
I have swapped the "D", "S" connnection same thing with voltage down but lost the reverse polarity protection.

I reduce R4 24r to 4.7r and the voltage up around 9,35v or something like that.
I think i have to calculate a new RC filter around the 4.7r and play with the "uf value" to down the cutoff frequency, in relation with the space and capacitor size.

What cutoff frequency can be considered as good?
With 660uf and 4.7r = 51hz for the LC (R4+C1,C2).
        33nf and 4.7r= around -35db at 20khz for the HC (R2+C3).
Does i need to reduce the LC filter or it's look good at this value? i have no reference to judge if it's a good value.

antonis

R2 + C3 is just another LOW pass filter is series with R4 + C1,C2..
(placing a second pole and, IMHO, loading enough preceding one..)

IMHO, again, R2 + C3 is useless, taking into account VB feeds a buffer with "ridiculus" current..

Without a complete circuit schematic, we can't tell for sure neither for HPF placement/configuration nor for its cut-off frequency..

P.S.
For current consuming circuits it should be a good idea to "split" positive supply rail (more than one V+) and place an individual LPF before each one...
(to keep low shunt cap value..)

baloubass

Quote from: antonis on April 26, 2020, 12:20:06 PM
P.S.
For current consuming circuits it should be a good idea to "split" positive supply rail (more than one V+) and place an individual LPF before each one...
(to keep low shunt cap value..)
I don't understand this last suggestion.
Ok to form an high pass filter, i have to put R2 after C3.
I'm looking to create a filtering with the LC for the V+, and add a HC for the buffer section.
Maybe i have to make  a LC and a HC with one V+ for the all of the circuit.