El capistan pedal repair help

Started by isophase, February 17, 2022, 08:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isophase

Hello,

I need some help and/or advice for (trying) to repair a strymon El Capistan echo pedal.
This is my friends pedal and he asked me to have a look at it as it « is not working anymore since I plugged the wrong power supply to it »
I have opened the unit, it all SMD :-/ I carefully inspected the pcbs visually and found a burnt component > 34N Y6 (Q3 on the photo)
Question 1: do you think it could be repaired with standard size transistor as a replacement?
Question 2: what other components should be changed as a precaution? knowing that it got the wrong supply voltage.
Thank you in advance for any advise, tips and your help.
Jonathan

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote34N Y6 (Q3 on the photo)

we see no photo. generally, you need to go bit by bit, you can't flatly say yes, you can fixxe easy. sometimes you need to fix the easy obvious parts only to find the rest is caktus.

well, it is an echo, as antonis allays sez.
don't make me draw another line.

isophase

isophase

Quote from: duck_arse on February 17, 2022, 08:46:56 AM
Quote34N Y6 (Q3 on the photo)

we see no photo. generally, you need to go bit by bit, you can't flatly say yes, you can fixxe easy. sometimes you need to fix the easy obvious parts only to find the rest is caktus.

well, it is an echo, as antonis allays sez.

Yes, I believe you :-)
Q3 is burnt, can't see very well on the photo but it's really burnt in reality.
I have no experience with SMD at all, but is it possible to replace some SMD components with standard ones? with a standard good quality iron and good soldering skills?
My friend said it's ok to try it out and fail as his pedal guarantee is expired..
Last question, what equivalent standard part I could try as a replacement for this 34nY6?
Can't even find the original SMD part online?
Thanks

isophase

Well, I can't even desolder the part as space is so tight.. It's too delicate and I think it's not possible for me to do this repair...
Thank you nonetheless

Ice-9

Quote from: isophase on February 17, 2022, 10:09:34 AM
Well, I can't even desolder the part as space is so tight.. It's too delicate and I think it's not possible for me to do this repair...
Thank you nonetheless

You can easily remove Q3 with a normal soldering iron if you heat up the two pads inline together then quickly move the iron to the single pad, the part will then just move of the solder joint. Of course the preferable way is with a hot air iron which heats the whole component up and you can just lift it off with twezzers.

get a like for like part to replace rather crap on with trying to mod a through hole part. SMD is far easier to repair than through hole parts.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

duck_arse

at a very wild guess, seeing as those two parts (Q3 and Q7) only show two connections each, and as they are plonked right at the feet of an inductory looking coil affair, I'd say they were rectifiers of some description. it might be easier to destroy the dud part to get it out - chomp the plastic into parts, then you can heat a leg at a time and remove the mess.
don't make me draw another line.

guitarhacknoise

"It'll never work."