Enclosure painted, now what!?

Started by DJPsychic, April 26, 2020, 08:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

I've only used enamel paint once.  Otherwise I'm using acrylic from spray cans, so my advice might be moot.  But if you're saying you got everything done within a day, then I'd be concerned it's not actually dry and you'll be sealing in wet paint.  The oven may help with this.

Not sure what you mean by "good coat".  I hope you mean "gossamer-thin", and not "substantial".  Thin coats dry quickly.  Thick coats dry never.

Anyway, it looks good thus far, so good luck!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

DJPsychic

Quote from: bluebunny on April 27, 2020, 04:40:20 AM
I've only used enamel paint once.  Otherwise I'm using acrylic from spray cans, so my advice might be moot.  But if you're saying you got everything done within a day, then I'd be concerned it's not actually dry and you'll be sealing in wet paint.  The oven may help with this.

Not sure what you mean by "good coat".  I hope you mean "gossamer-thin", and not "substantial".  Thin coats dry quickly.  Thick coats dry never.

Anyway, it looks good thus far, so good luck!

I don't think I said "good coat" but could be wrong.

I painted the enclosure Saturday, today is Monday so should be ok?

Going to apply two thin coats of clear and bake. Then maybe repeat.

My only fear is ruing the decal. Guess we'll find out!

bluebunny

???  I thought I was going mad! . . .  Reply #6...  But re-reading, it sounds like you should have something that's gonna be properly dry.  In which case, the clear coat should be fine.  The decal should be fine with the clear coat, so long as that's nice and thin too.  Can't say about the baking, though.
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

I sprayed 2 light coats of clear baked it. Then a few more and baked again. Clear seems to set alright, but can't get rid of sticker lines.

I'll just go back to bare metal enclosures. This has become a 4 day project  ;D

davent

The sticker lines won't disappear until you've applied enough clear coats that you can wet sand the face level without sanding through the clear and hitting the decal. 

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

iainpunk

i've had some hard times getting enamel paints to work for me, so i just stopped using it.

i have had great success with MOLOTOV graffiti canisters to paint enclosures, also used wall paints and clear wood lacquer which worked out quite well.

but hounestly, mostly let my enclosures stay the original colours/design to save on cost and most candy tins look quite good and i don't mind advertising for my favourite candy brand, SKY Candy

cheers,
Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

bluebunny

Quote from: DJPsychic on April 27, 2020, 02:09:31 PM
Clear seems to set alright, but can't get rid of sticker lines.

I'm having trouble trying to see where your decal is in your first two pictures (i.e. how far it extends).  I can't work out if you have a whole face decal, or just the "Soul Fuzz" legend at the bottom.  Hint: if you go for a whole face design and size it so that the edges are just where the top of the enclosure starts to curve away to the sides, then those edges will be all but impossible to spot under a couple of coats of clear (and you'll only need a couple of coats).
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

After about 8 clear coats, still couldn't get flush to decal. For my purposes, the time and the effort (and the fumes) are definitely not worth it.

I may still paint and then ink stamp like Analogman, or just continue doing what I have been doing...ink stamp on a bare aluminum enclosure. It fits my aesthetic anyhoo

vigilante397

I support your decision either way, as you get excellent results with ink stamps 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

DJPsychic

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 28, 2020, 11:32:02 AM
I support your decision either way, as you get excellent results with ink stamps 8)

Lol thanks for you support!! ;D

davent

Quote from: DJPsychic on April 28, 2020, 10:15:54 AM
After about 8 clear coats, still couldn't get flush to decal. For my purposes, the time and the effort (and the fumes) are definitely not worth it.

I may still paint and then ink stamp like Analogman, or just continue doing what I have been doing...ink stamp on a bare aluminum enclosure. It fits my aesthetic anyhoo

I had a pedal with decals and was using an airbrush to clear coat lacquer , applies very thin coats,  took over 60 coats, i'm only mildly crazy. I don't use decals any more.

Have you considered Envirotex or other resin type thick coating?

Your ink stamp pedal great, i suppose the limitation is what's available in stamps or are you set up to create your own stamps?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

vigilante397

Quote from: davent on April 28, 2020, 12:03:25 PM
Have you considered Envirotex or other resin type thick coating?

Doesn't Cloudscapes on here use Envirotex? I love the look of those thick finishes.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

DJPsychic

Thank you. I order them through Rubberchampstamp.com

I design the graphic and upload through their site. The stamp pictured is Obviously not my original artwork. Although I did have to do a little editing to Make it usable for Stamp

vigilante397

Apparently the laser engraver I use (Chinese K40) was originally designed for the purpose of making rubber stamps. I haven't tried it, but I may have to give it a go. What kind of ink are you using? Do you need to put lacquer or anything over the top to protect it?
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 28, 2020, 01:02:28 PM
Doesn't Cloudscapes on here use Envirotex? I love the look of those thick finishes.

I think John Danna did some Envirotexing a few years ago (hmmm... haven't see John around in a while - hope he's OK).  I bought a pack on his recommendation.  Ashamed to say it's still unused.  :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER

davent

This pedal/Envirotex tutorial has been around for quite a few years.

http://80.229.1.38/stompage/finishing.html
dave

DJPsychic

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 28, 2020, 02:23:52 PM
Apparently the laser engraver I use (Chinese K40) was originally designed for the purpose of making rubber stamps. I haven't tried it, but I may have to give it a go. What kind of ink are you using? Do you need to put lacquer or anything over the top to protect it?

Interesting. We have a laser machine at work I'll have to try that if We ever open again.

And I use Stayzon ink, no protective coating.

DJPsychic

It's not pretty but it will work  8)

davent

A decal directly on the enclosure? Did you clear coat the enclosure before applying the decal?
dave

DJPsychic

Quote from: davent on April 30, 2020, 09:34:48 PM
A decal directly on the enclosure? Did you clear coat the enclosure before applying the decal?
dave

I ordered an ink stamp

And it only took me about 6 combined man hours to get a usable mark! :o

No clear. Bare metal with stayzon ink.

Analog Mike is quoted somewhere on here saying how much work it Is to get a consistent marking, he's not kidding.

Still trying to find the best option if I ever decide to make more of these. But for personal use the stamps seem to hold up pretty good.