Foxx Tone Machine Project

Started by Phend, April 26, 2020, 02:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phend

Here is the start of this project.  A long ways to go.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Phend

Hello all:
Here it is, the FTM in a box, maple sides,cherry top and mahogany back (for good tone of course).
Laser cut and etched.
Currently it is has 3904 transistors, until I install the 3565's that the original has.
Per Mark Hammers suggestions I:
- Matched R7 and R8 and D1 and D2.
- R9 and R10 are within 1%.
- Added a 470 R at D3 / D4 to ground.
All components were picked / measured and are close to values. Transistors and diodes are matched.
Added a diode switch for D1 and D2 to switch between 34's and Bat's.
Added a by-pass switch for Clean or Foxx.
Added that questionable protection diode.
Tried a 100k audio vol pot with 100k R to bring it to 50k. Did not like it so switched to the 50k lin.
Took my time putting it together, if that is what you call it, and all trans voltages check out great.
And to my surprise it worked right out of the "box" (except that audio pot).
Thanks to all who helped by answering my questions and those that posted topics on the FTM.
And thanks to General Guitar Gadgets / JD Sleep for the start on my modified circuit.
(The circuit is constructed backwards, input is on the right, to make it easier for my dyslexia)
Batt clip is scrap acrylic from a clock I made, no need to comment on that, been done all ready.
Regards
Paul

• SUPPORTER+

antonis

What..?? No items values etched on sliding bottom cover..???  :o

P.S.
Cheers man..!!
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Phend

Replaced 3904 with 3565, matched Hfe on Q1 and Q2.  Like the sound of the 3565.
The D1 and D2 switch is really unnoticeable switching between 1N34 and Bat41.
Maybe I will add or try 914's in place of the 1N34.  Would like to get a noticeable switch.

• SUPPORTER+

Phend

The D1 D2 switching from 1N34's to Bat41 works better ie noticeable change in "sound" since I added two Bat41's for a parallel Bat setup.  DONE. Works great IMO.  Fuzz is very good and the octave setting is something I will play around with. Clean switch works well and no switch has clicks or pops.  Don't pickup and radio stations, everything sounds/does what it should.  Plus it has a good ground "rod" lol.  Certainly not you average Stomp Box build but for home use I like it, looks cool inside and out. Foxx is in the Boxx.
  • SUPPORTER+