Wasp Filter Pedal - odd value resistor & rotary switch

Started by Sesh, April 30, 2020, 11:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesh

Hi DIY'ers

I'm in the middle of making the Sonusfluxa stripboard layout of the Wasp filter (cool lo-fi synth filter!).
The layout, however, has two parts that I've had a hard time sourcing: A B47K pot (can only find 50K) and a 1P4T rotary switch.

I've tried looking up how to replace these type of parts with different types/values, but finding something condensed and specifically about guitar pedals has been hard to find.

So: What can I buy instead of those two hard-to-find parts - and why does that work? (I mainly source from Banzai & Musikding.de)

idy

For the pot use the 50k. That is close enough and its a pot! You may lose a tiny bit of extreme but that's what we do. Pot tolerance is pretty wide, you may find a 50k that measures closer to 47k, but probably the guy that designed it couldn't get 50K and had to settle for 47k :). Different times and places manufacturers made diffferent series.

For the rotary you use the 1 pole 12 position. The plastic ones (I forget about the metal ones) have a "keeper washer" that allows you to select how many positions you want. Banzai has these. Lots of places do.

Sesh

Quote from: idy on April 30, 2020, 11:37:25 AM
For the pot use the 50k. That is close enough and its a pot! You may lose a tiny bit of extreme but that's what we do. Pot tolerance is pretty wide, you may find a 50k that measures closer to 47k, but probably the guy that designed it couldn't get 50K and had to settle for 47k :). Different times and places manufacturers made diffferent series.

For the rotary you use the 1 pole 12 position. The plastic ones (I forget about the metal ones) have a "keeper washer" that allows you to select how many positions you want. Banzai has these. Lots of places do.

awesome!! thanks a bunch

idy

For the 1x4 you could also use 2x6 or 3x4. Look ahead and think what you might need in the future and order a few if you can....

FUZZZZzzzz

Cool! which WASP layout are you preferring too?

Quote from: Sesh on April 30, 2020, 11:14:20 AM
Hi DIY'ers

I'm in the middle of making the Sonusfluxa stripboard layout of the Wasp filter (cool lo-fi synth filter!).
The layout, however, has two parts that I've had a hard time sourcing: A B47K pot (can only find 50K) and a 1P4T rotary switch.

I've tried looking up how to replace these type of parts with different types/values, but finding something condensed and specifically about guitar pedals has been hard to find.

So: What can I buy instead of those two hard-to-find parts - and why does that work? (I mainly source from Banzai & Musikding.de)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Sesh

Quote from: idy on April 30, 2020, 12:07:28 PM
For the 1x4 you could also use 2x6 or 3x4. Look ahead and think what you might need in the future and order a few if you can....

I found (and ordered, amongst other stuff) the adjustable 1P2-12T rotary, you talked about. Super neat! But yeah, I've read that you can use those, too, but wouldn't I have some positions that then does nothing?

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 30, 2020, 02:04:13 PM
Cool! which WASP layout are you preferring too?

This badboy:
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Jurgen-Haible-Wasp-VCFilter-td31320.html

anotherjim

All the Alpha/Lorlin rotary switches can be limited to any stop. A 2P6T can be limited to 4 throws and the extra pole used to switch panel LED's. A 3P4T doesn't need limiting at all.
Hint - use a tiny amount of glue to hold the limit washer in place - 'cause it easily falls off until it's bolted in.

FUZZZZzzzz

I'm currently building a Jasper Synth (between all my other projects). A synth clone of the WASP. The filter part is already working and very cool. Worth your while ;)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Sesh

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 30, 2020, 04:38:47 PM
I'm currently building a Jasper Synth (between all my other projects). A synth clone of the WASP. The filter part is already working and very cool. Worth your while ;)

Awesome! Yeah, I knew it from the synth world already, why I choose it over, say, an Evil Filter that has vero layouts as well.
With a droney, fuzzy, reverbsoaked sound, this filter and an EHX 8-Step Program or something like that feeding into the cv input of the filter = ambient guitar heaven.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

ElectricDruid

"How to get huge sounds out of tiny synths (with just a bit of outboard)"

Thanks! Great fun!