Foxx Tone Machine weird thing

Started by skint, April 30, 2020, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skint

Hello guys

I am building a foxx tone machine clone and i have all putted together in veroboard. I think it is all well connected but doesnt work.

I checked everything and the transistor voltages are just fine. The weird think is when i touch the strip connected to Q4 emitter (with my fingers) it works. What is happening here?? It is driving me crazy!

Please help.

Thanks

antonis

Hi & Welcome..

Probably strip continuity is broken..
(doesn't make contact Emitter with its resistor..)

If you post some pics of your stripboard, we'll be able to trace it ..
(and maintain duck_arse peacefulness..) :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

skint

Hi and thanks  :)

Dont think continuity is broken because all the transistor voltages are similar to GGG instructions.

Here is the picture, the strip is the one in the red square. Nervermind the bad soldering skills. The left solder is the Q4 emitter and the right solder is the 1k5 resistor. The thing is it only works when i keep my finger touching that strip. That is crazy!

Thanks BTW

garcho

QuoteNervermind the bad soldering skills

Bad soldering skills make up a hefty percentage of "what's wrong with this" posts, as does vero in general.

Are you certain your grounds are all connected and wired correctly?
Have you re-flowed those joints?
How is it that you're only touching the one strip? You're positive you're not touching the above or below strip?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

PRR

> How is it that you're only touching the one strip?

Because he has not really soldered the 1.5k leg, only glopped solder around it. Never broke the tarnish. Finger pressure makes temporary contact.

So don't "nevermind" us. This is not a beauty contest. It could be your ongoing troubleshooting nightmare. If you can't make or inspect for perfect joints, practice.
  • SUPPORTER

skint

I know, i am still learning and stripboard is really a nightmare. Its cheap though  ;D

Ok, now i figure it out why is working this way. You where right garcho. With my fingers i was connecting the Q3 Emitter strip with the above strip (the one with the second pair of diodes. Is this making any sense? Here is the layout i am using.

It gets really loud and the volume knob is very sensitive now. If i turn it a little bit it gets very loud. Anyhow that 2 strips are not suposed to be shorted.

If i had a grounding issue or a bad joint in the 1k5 resistor would the voltages of the transistors look correct?

Thanks

antonis

You overlooked Paul's observation..!!
(1k5 resistor leg isn't actually soldered on strip..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

skint

Ok, i am so dumb, i made a mistake when i was making the cuts in the strips and i made an extra cut between tone 2 and the 10 uf cap, thinking to myself that i was gona remember to short it.  >:(

The joke is on me.

Thanks and stay safe guys.

bluebunny

If the stripboard is tarnished before you start, you're making life difficult for yourself and you will have bad joints.  I use a simple abrasive rubber block (it's like a pencil eraser) to clean mine.  Gets it nice and pink for reliable soldering!  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

skint

Thanks for the advice.  :)  Actually, this stripboards from Tayda come really shiny. It was my fourth build, sounds really nice, even with the Se diodes.

PRR

> stripboards from Tayda come really shiny

That is suspicious. Copper tarnishes fast. If it is shiny then there is a protective coating. Thin shellac will burn off under the iron. Thin oils may poison the flux and solder.

But if it is working for you I am glad.
  • SUPPORTER