DURING Quarantine - anything going on?

Started by aron, May 02, 2020, 03:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Overhauled the power supply of a hifi tube amp i built in 2004, finished wiring up and testing a HoSo 56 guitar amp i set on the shelf in 2016. Presently vegetable garden prep,  ton of cooking with a much smaller, limited palette, some woodworking on the go...

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Greenwichpaul

Sorted out my coffee machine.

THe main issue was a short in the IEC mains cable? Whoever heard of a fault in a mains cable? Plus the coil in a little solenoid valve failed. Switched in one from my main machine and it works fine now, new one ordered.

I love that there's this coffee machine subculture, with all the bits - pumps, valves, etc  - being made in Italy for not much money. If only as many British companies were still making speakers and transistors. Come to think of it, how come the Italians are still making Jensens when Celestions are now made in China?

blackieNYC

Writing and recording songs with some friends. So far so good. We write a bunch of lyrics in a zoom meeting, divvy them up and write a song. Then everybody tracks theirs and posts it up in a Dropbox.  Then you download someone else's song and overdub.  Only need a cheap interface and maybe a mic. We're using Reaper software which is free for 60 days.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Ripthorn

Finished all the build docs, code, schematics, etc. for my latest project, the DiSH (https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=124380.0). Posted a video demo as well. It's an analog sample/hold supplied with a digitally-generated control voltage. Has tap tempo, tempo divisions, pattern setting, etc. Check it out! Build one! I've got gerber files in there, and I've got a few leftover PCB's if anyone wants to build one but doesn't want to place an order with JLCPCB, OSHPark, etc.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

anotherjim

So that's how they make Shredded Wheat!

Ben N

Just snagged and salvaged a dead microwave yesterday. Thinking now about what to do with the transformer. Also, spending an inordinate amount of time wondering what happened to the Tayda discount.
  • SUPPORTER

Scruffie

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 02, 2020, 03:31:07 PM
Another is working on the "version 2" of the Druid DigiDelay. I can't say much more about that one right now, except to say that it fixes the biggest problems the original had.
Adds modulation!?  :D

As someone with a vintage EHX 2 & 16 second digital delay in for repair, can I make a suggestion for an 'infinite repeats' (phrase looper) foot switch.

Apart from the above repairs, I quite badly burnt my leg last weekend so aside from oil painting I'm mainly doing circuit simulations from bed at the moment. Mainly filters and the like but also for a single supply TDA1022 version of the CE-1 as a forum project as that dual supply & MN3002 seems to be a stumbling block for a lot of people lately, personally I never got the fascination with the pedal.

amptramp

Quote from: Ben N on May 04, 2020, 05:40:21 AM
Just snagged and salvaged a dead microwave yesterday. Thinking now about what to do with the transformer. Also, spending an inordinate amount of time wondering what happened to the Tayda discount.

You could get some transmitting tubes and make yourself a kilowatt audio amplifier.  Not sure what you would use for an output transformer but there are some people who would use a couple of more power transformers with the line voltage sides connected together so you could have a push-pull transformer made out of two power transformers.  But beware - you may have several kilovolts from this supply that could turn into killervolts.  You may need to wind a few turns for the speaker winding.

cloudscapes

Playing around with synth circuits. Lunettas, and a benjolin. Hope to put two of the latter in a wood box as a self-contained noise box!

Sort of interested in re-iterating on my old digital delay again. I'd start by porting it from PIC32 to ARM, and also try and fix some of the inherent flaws the old circuit has. Namely headroom. I'm not as proficient with clean analog design as I am coming up with weird audio-destroying effects.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

davent

Quote from: bluebunny on May 04, 2020, 03:26:42 AM
Quote from: davent on May 03, 2020, 01:00:46 PM
NSFW

Oh, the irony!

Have to watch out or could end up here...

...one things leads to another but then that's another song.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

vigilante397

I started doing these before the quarantine, but I've been continuing videos of playing my main instrument :P

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

newjackruby

Germanium ( MP21A) Fuzz Face using the Mad Bean Mangler pcb. I could only get the Q2 bias up to just under 4v on the stock parts, but decided to leave it that way because it sounds gnarly!

EBK

Quote from: Kipper4 on May 03, 2020, 11:58:34 AM
I'd like to say I wish I could do circuits and designs right now but I can't.
Struggling with my mind, so instead I've been gardening and getting my neck red.
Enjoying the fresh air and I have lots of flowers to show for it.
I'll be back on the circuits soon hopefully. I'm storing ideas meantime and possibilitys.
Stay safe ya'll.

Rich
I've been struggling mightily with my mental health during this quarantine, so I'm trying to keep some open-ended projects going to keep myself moving forward.  This one might make you smile, Rich.
I'm working up an envelope follower experiment rig using a method I'm just going to call hybrid breadboarding, in which some subcircuits get soldered up into a permanent form, despite there being no final design in mind, while other stuff gets breadboarded in a more traditional manner.

That's most of a Mutron III build from the tagboardeffects layout, with the filtering parts left off.  I have another board that rides on top with a charge pump and space to solder a permanent version of anything that ends up delighting me later.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

antonis

You might be the only person I know who uses stripboard on top of breadboard, Eric.. :icon_wink:
(you should own a much cheaper workbench mat, shouldn't you..??) :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Quote from: antonis on May 05, 2020, 07:31:25 AM
You might be the only person I know who uses stripboard on top of breadboard, Eric.. :icon_wink:
(you should own a much cheaper workbench mat, shouldn't you..??) :icon_lol:
Part of it is a recognition of the fact that I have more than once had to buy a new breadboard in order to prototype something because my existing breadboard space is taken up with semi-permanent experiments that I can't bring myself to tear down.  :icon_lol:
An example:

The one below stayed on my breadboard for nearly 20 years!

I don't use my breadboards efficiently or even correctly, it seems.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

starting to look a bit like cordwood there, Eric. be careful.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

anotherjim

Lockdown coincided with making a start on various home maintainance jobs.
Have done very little of a musical or electronic nature.
Attempt to grow an apocalypse beard vetoed by She Who Must Be Humoured.

EBK

Quote from: anotherjim on May 05, 2020, 04:49:01 PM
Attempt to grow an apocalypse beard vetoed by She Who Must Be Humoured.
I only shave now when it is time to prepare for a Costco run.  That informative chart from the CDC showing Hitler successfully wearing a mask is mockingly inspiring.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER