How do you guys stop breadboarding?

Started by stallik, August 02, 2020, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

Quote from: stallik on August 18, 2020, 01:15:37 PM
Finalised my first TS. It's a double. 2 different circuits, A/B or both. Fun thing is that when auditioning the clipping diodes - long leads into a socket, I noticed that my fluorescent desk lamp introduces a pleasant octave down on one circuit. I'm using a DD to give me room for the foot switches but it's still too small to stuff the lamp in and have it switchable ;)

i have a desktop magnifier lamp, with the round ''non shadow'' ring light....

and the noise when breading anything is horrendous....but still handy for my old eyes....but lots of on, off, on , offing... :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

moosapotamus

I am a breadboarder. Luckily, never had many issues with breadboards. I do not enjoy de-soldering.

As I'm having my way with a circuit on a breadboard, I am typically thinking about the final enclosure. How big do I want it to be? How many and what types of controls make sense, and will fit?

I loosely put mods into three categories that successively escalate in complexity...
1) Optimizing some aspect of the sound. Making a change that requires no external controls. "It just sounds better this way."
2) Either/Or. Max/Min. Hi/Low. Might require a toggle switch. "I just want these two extremes."
3) Many different options or configurations. Might need a pot, a 3PDT, or a rotary switch. "Sooooo many colors."

Then I rank all of the options/mods that tickle my fancy, while considering how much real estate each will take up on the enclosure. My favorite mods get priority for claiming enclosure space. Mods that are less impactfull might be kept if they can be done with something small, like a SPDT toggle, but could be dropped if they need a big rotary switch, or something similar.

Of course, deciding which mods are better than others is always going to be a matter of individual taste. Fortunately, enclosures come in many different shapes and sizes! I heartily recommend building several effects with "all of the options." After doing so myself, I feel like I have gotten better at prioritizing and deciding when it's done!
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

stallik

Darn it! I boxed up 2 circuits in a DD enclosure and thought I was done. I'd built both circuits on pcb's but with the in/outs connected to a breadboard so that I could  switch between them for auditioning. I thought that the circuits sounded different enough to warrant both in one box with an A/B switch.

Now that They are in a box with the A/B, I can instantly change between circuits, and can really hear the difference between them so indecision has set in again. Circuit A may be the best sounding TS I've used. Circuit B is crisper and a little harsher. Then I change guitar and I'm not so sure

I really like having 2 circuits but I'm now thinking it might be better to have 2x circuit A. My current thinking is to make a motherboard with all the connections and convert my current pcb's to daughterboards so I can easily swap them out.

I'm waiting for parts to complete the A+B switching. When that's complete, I'm sure it will all change again..
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein