"Boutique TS" Breadboard issue

Started by DJPsychic, May 09, 2020, 07:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

JIC: Here's the updated pic after Slowpokes suggestions.

I replaced some of the resistors so they are same make/brand. And everything is same as layout besides suggested changes.

Also gain pot is wired reversed on layout (or at least I wired reverse)

willienillie

Yeah, Vref isn't "AC ground" without that cap!

DJPsychic

Still getting a "fizzy" distortion, like a dying battery effect. I can hear the potential in this thing! just need to figure out what the issue is. All my connections seem good. Using new battery so not sure what the deal is.

DJPsychic

Any idea what would be causing the fizzing out distortion sound?

I've been through my connections everything seems good.

PRR

> a "fizzy" distortion, like a dying battery effect.
> just need to figure out what the issue is.
> Any idea what would be causing the fizzing out distortion sound?

Any ideas what voltages are in there?? Was it posted up-thread and I can't find it?
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

Quote from: PRR on May 12, 2020, 07:52:28 PM
> a "fizzy" distortion, like a dying battery effect.
> just need to figure out what the issue is.
> Any idea what would be causing the fizzing out distortion sound?

Any ideas what voltages are in there?? Was it posted up-thread and I can't find it?

I haven't taken voltages I'll get on that

DJPsychic

Ok so I took voltages. Never done before, I'm assuming I put negative probe on negative track, and positive probe on IC pin.

1 - 4.68    5 - 9.19
2 - 4.69    6 - 4.68
3 - 3.2      7 - 4.68
4 - 0         8 - 4.62

PRR

> I took voltages.

Thanks. All as expected. (The "low reading" on pin 3 means your meter is 1Meg.)
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

Quote from: PRR on May 12, 2020, 10:18:08 PM
> I took voltages.

Thanks. All as expected. (The "low reading" on pin 3 means your meter is 1Meg.)

The readings are ok?

And can you explain what you mean by "meter is 1Meg"

Thank you  :)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: DJPsychic on May 12, 2020, 07:32:33 PM
Any idea what would be causing the fizzing out distortion sound?

I've been through my connections everything seems good.

Are you certain that you used 1N34s and a 1N914 in the feedback loop?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

DJPsychic

Are you certain that you used 1N34s and a 1N914 in the feedback loop?

Actually I think the 1n914 is a 1n270 my apologies.

antonis

Quote from: DJPsychic on May 12, 2020, 10:31:53 PM
And can you explain what you mean by "meter is 1Meg"..

Your multimeter input impedance is about 1M..
That's the reason you took +3.2VDC reading on pin 3, instead of "ideal" Vcc/2, 'cause multimeter's impedance "loads" (is set in parallel with) 470k bias resistor..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DJPsychic

I don't quite get that yet but thanks for going in details for me!

stallik

Fizzing out sound may be down to the opamp. Try removing the diodes. Yeh, I know the sound will change but listen to see if you still get the fizzing. If so, try a NE5532. If that's ok, add the diodes back in. I'm breadboarding along with you and that worked for me

Btw, my original quiet sound was down to a duff breadboard. Binned it! There's value to a quality BB...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

DJPsychic

Quote from: stallik on May 13, 2020, 02:46:43 PM
Fizzing out sound may be down to the opamp. Try removing the diodes. Yeh, I know the sound will change but listen to see if you still get the fizzing. If so, try a NE5532. If that's ok, add the diodes back in. I'm breadboarding along with you and that worked for me

Btw, my original quiet sound was down to a duff breadboard. Binned it! There's value to a quality BB...

Removing the diodes did solve the fizzle (I think). And surprisingly sounds really good?

More of  a plexi/dumble sound than a TS. Whoa. Is this against the rules? Lol

stallik

If the fizzle went when you removed the diodes then they are causing it. Rules? There are no rules. Well, there are some but if you like the sound of something, there's nothing in the rule book to stop you  ;)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

DJPsychic

Quote from: stallik on May 13, 2020, 03:14:14 PM
If the fizzle went when you removed the diodes then they are causing it. Rules? There are no rules. Well, there are some but if you like the sound of something, there's nothing in the rule book to stop you  ;)

Yes ,Is it was the diodes!  I put D1 back, a germanium of sorts, and it does round out the tone a bit, back into TS territory. Think I might build 2, one with diodes one without.

Thanks for checking me on that  :D

DJPsychic

Actually it's not the diodes themselves, if I use More than one diode it causes the fizzle. I'm just going to stick with zero or one for now.

Edit: Now getting fizz without diode. Not quite as bad as a dying battery, more like an unbiased ge transistor sound, but I think I can live with it

stallik

That's the beauty of the breadboard. You can try so many variations so quickly. I'd still suggest the 5532 but perhaps that's just my own rabbit hole.