"Boutique TS" Breadboard issue

Started by DJPsychic, May 09, 2020, 07:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

Quote from: stallik on May 13, 2020, 03:52:04 PM
That's the beauty of the breadboard. You can try so many variations so quickly. I'd still suggest the 5532 but perhaps that's just my own rabbit hole.

Yes absolutely, it's my favorite part of building DIY pedals, besides getting to play them. All the stuff in between I could do without  ;D

Last question. Not sure the rules on linking other sites, but If I follow this layout, and change to the values discussed here, will I get the same result? Or is this laid out differently?

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/son-of-screamer.html

stallik

Same circuit so it should be exactly the same. Sometimes a layout can introduce other effects because of the way traces run next to others but I don't think you have to worry in this case.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

DJPsychic

Excellent thank you again for answering my questions

DJPsychic

Quote from: stallik on May 13, 2020, 04:10:25 PM
Same circuit so it should be exactly the same. Sometimes a layout can introduce other effects because of the way traces run next to others but I don't think you have to worry in this case.

Actually one last question (sorry)

There is a 1M on the layout that doesn't appear on the BB layout. Can this be left out?

And another member in this thread recommend at 22uf from negative to J1 on BB, is This represented on layout? Possibly the 47uf? Not quite sure...

antonis

1M is a input cap pull-down resistor..
(anti-pop only reason..)

47μF cap (J1 to J3) is for power supply regulation AND LPF cut-off frequency..
With help of 100R resistor (M3 to M7) forms -3db corner frequency of 34Hz - 22μF should raise it up to 72Hz with the risk of power supply rectified frequency (double the mains frequency..) partially(*) enters into IC pin 8..
(IMHO, a 100μF cap of same spacing there should be more adequate for ripple removal..)

(*) depending on mains frequency (50-60Hz) and the degree (-db) of attenuation..

More info about TubeScreamer:
https://www.electrosmash.com/tube-screamer-analysis

and in case you dislike maths/formulae:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 14, 2020, 08:22:19 AM
1M is a input cap pull-down resistor..
(anti-pop only reason..)

47μF cap (J1 to J3) is for power supply regulation AND LPF cut-off frequency..
With help of 100R resistor (M3 to M7) forms -3db corner frequency of 34Hz - 22μF should raise it up to 72Hz with the risk of power supply rectified frequency (double the mains frequency..) partially(*) enters into IC pin 8..
(IMHO, a 100μF cap of same spacing there should be more adequate for ripple removal..)

(*) depending on mains frequency (50-60Hz) and the degree (-db) of attenuation..

More info about TubeScreamer:
https://www.electrosmash.com/tube-screamer-analysis

and in case you dislike maths/formulae:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

Thank you. Does the 1M effect tone?

So to clarify, the 22uf on BB @ J1 & (-) negative rail, is included in the Tag board layout as "47uf" correct?

The tag board also has (2) 47uf whereas the BB layout has none.

Tag board also has a 100R and 47uf between 9v & pin 8  that is not on BB layout.

Sorry, I just really like what I've got on  my BB, want to make sure I can build it the same

DJPsychic

Here's my crude drawing of what I think I have on my BB. Would this modification work? Please correct me if I am wrong

Here is BB layout updated with the suggestions from earlier in thread

antonis

I could answer you that 1Μ resistor doesn't affect anything else than input impedance..
(but in reality, it forms a HPF with signal source capacitance..)
Anyway, practical answer is: NO, it doesn't affect tone..

I'm confused with different layouts (BB, tagboard, ..) but in general there are 2 electro caps (one for power supply and another for Vbias supply..)
(links posted above was for an elementary familiarization with the particular circuit and not for making yourself Tubescreamer expert, so plz take a brief look to them..)

Modified layout should work but, at least, place a 100nF cap in place of 47μF deleted one for high frequency interference prevention..

edit: 1μF Electro cap on BB is the non-polarized one (L1 to L4) going to Vol pot lug 3..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 14, 2020, 09:27:36 AM
I could answer you that 1Μ resistor doesn't affect anything else than input impedance..
(but in reality, it forms a HPF with signal source capacitance..)
Anyway, practical answer is: NO, it doesn't affect tone..

I'm confused with different layouts (BB, tagboard, ..) but in general there are 2 electro caps (one for power supply and another for Vbias supply..)
(links posted above was for an elementary familiarization with the particular circuit and not for making yourself Tubescreamer expert, so plz take a brief look to them..)

Modified layout should work but, at least, place a 100nF cap in place of 47μF deleted one for high frequency interference prevention..

I posted a tagboard layout and compared to the BB layout from Beavis, to see if I could follow and have same outcome as BB. And I will definitely look at your links. Sorry I'm in the process of trying to build this pedal at the moment.

I deleted 47uf because the BB I have sounds really nice, and does not have the 47uf. I like to eliminate any necessary components if possible.

antonis

If it sounds realy nice, it should be OK with you..
(it should be  OK with us also in case of realy nice sounding when working in different locations and/or enviromental conditions..)

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 14, 2020, 09:36:09 AM
If it sounds realy nice, it should be OK with you..
(it should be  OK with us also in case of realy nice sounding when working in different locations and/or enviromental conditions..)

Ok ONE MORE question ;)

On the Breadboard:  The 10k from I-1 to (+) Is this same configuration as "my" Drawing?

Does The 9v(+) power go directly to Pin 8 on BB? Or is it passing through 10k @ I-1?

On "drawing" 9v(+) goes through the 10k..

antonis

2 X 10k resistors form voltage divider for Vbias..

BOTH on breadbord and drawing, +9V goes directly to IC pin 8.. :icon_wink:
(if you trace lower leg of 10k connected to +9V, you'll see that it's connected to another 10k resistor, the lower leg of the last going to Ground and connection point also goes to 22μF (ΒΒ) or 47μF (drawing) positive leg..)

So, 10k resistor you refer on is considered in parallel (not in series) with IC pin & +9V..
(forget the above.. it could puzzle you more..)

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 14, 2020, 10:53:35 AM
2 X 10k resistors form voltage divider for Vbias..

BOTH on breadbord and drawing, +9V goes directly to IC pin 8.. :icon_wink:
(if you trace lower leg of 10k connected to +9V, you'll see that it's connected to another 10k resistor, the lower leg of the last going to Ground and connection point also goes to 22μF (ΒΒ) or 47μF (drawing) positive leg..)

So, 10k resistor you refer on is considered in parallel (not in series) with IC pin & +9V..
(forget the above.. it could puzzle you more..)

Yes, you know I am easily confused  ;D

So I'm good to go? BB is same as layout, I can start soldering

antonis

Yes, please...
(but proceed under your own risk..) :icon_mrgreen:

DJPsychic

Got it all wired up but unfortunately does not work. Bypass works but pedal does not.

Ignore the electrical tape  ;)

(Pedal wasn't working before. Lightly singed outer coating of a wire.)

antonis

What do you mean by "does not work"..??

DJPsychic

antonis

Power..??

edit1: Can't figure out on what kind of pot lugs are 3 orange wires (Tone) soldered on..

edit2: You've omited D2&D3 so D1 cathode is "open" (no diode into NFB loop)

edit3: Plz post a picture of board solder side..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 15, 2020, 05:00:37 PM
Power..??

edit1: Can't figure out on what kind of pot lugs are 3 orange wires (Tone) soldered on..

edit2: You've omited D2&D3 so D1 cathode is "open" (no diode into NFB loop)

edit3: Plz post a picture of board solder side..

1. Tone should be wired

2. I chose to only used one diode, it seemed to work on BB

3. sorry could only access underside by flipping it over like this:

Top of picture is bottom row of board (if that makes sense)

Slowpoke101

Missing 0 Volt connection on IC (pin 4 )  :icon_eek: . Check following image.

Also your single clipping diode doesn't actually connect anywhere other than pin 2 of the 4558.
It actually has no function. Any clipping that you may experience will be from the 4558 distorting.
There is nothing wrong with that type of distortion as an effect..I actually quite like it but my hearing
is.......weird and getting worse.
  • SUPPORTER