"Boutique TS" Breadboard issue

Started by DJPsychic, May 09, 2020, 07:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on May 15, 2020, 06:36:10 PM
Missing 0 Volt connection on IC (pin 4 )  :icon_eek: . Check following image.

Also your single clipping diode doesn't actually connect anywhere other than pin 2 of the 4558.
It actually has no function. Any clipping that you may experience will be from the 4558 distorting.
There is nothing wrong with that type of distortion as an effect..I actually quite like it but my hearing
is.......weird and getting worse.

I was going to either use one or none, I liked how both sounded  I was attempting to do use this one (circled in green). Where should it go?

Edit: Grounding pin 4 solved sound issue. But I have no gain, just clean and tone (both of which are wired backwards lol)

DJPsychic

Edit:

So I only get a Gain signal if GAIN pot is maxed, and TONE knob is on "0". It's only in that one spot. And it sounds maxed.

Here is current wiring. I had to swap LUG 1 & 3 of TONE and GAIN, they are backward in layout.

Slowpoke101

Look at the following image;

You have the Tone 2 wire connected incorrectly.
If you want a single diode in the position indicated, reverse the diode and install the wire link as shown.
I recommend installing the 1M resistor. Very helpful for reducing switching noise (thump ) from the foot-switch.

• SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on May 15, 2020, 08:51:07 PM
Look at the following image;

You have the Tone 2 wire connected incorrectly.
If you want a single diode in the position indicated, reverse the diode and install the wire link as shown.
I recommend installing the 1M resistor. Very helpful for reducing switching noise (thump ) from the foot-switch.

Fixed the TONE 2 wire.

Still no gain, just TONE and VOL unfortunately

Slowpoke101

Have a close look at the tracks that pins 1 and 2 of the IC are soldered to. You may have a short circuit there - piece of wire, sliver of copper, etc.
You may wish to do a resistance test (low ohms range on your meter ) just to be certain that there is no shorts. Remember to remove power from the effect before measuring resistance.
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

On the Breadboard I had the 220n that's grounded accidentally on positive and It was working. Does that have anything to do issues on stripboard?

DJPsychic

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on May 15, 2020, 09:36:31 PM
Have a close look at the tracks that pins 1 and 2 of the IC are soldered to. You may have a short circuit there - piece of wire, sliver of copper, etc.
You may wish to do a resistance test (low ohms range on your meter ) just to be certain that there is no shorts. Remember to remove power from the effect before measuring resistance.

Still no gain, I do have level and tone

There doesn't seem to be anything shorting IC 1 & 2

Where should I test resistance?

stallik

I may be blind but you do not appear to have placed the links shown on the bottom image. Ian has got you to do one but what about the others?  Viewing on a phone...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

DJPsychic

Quote from: stallik on May 16, 2020, 12:53:51 PM
I may be blind but you do not appear to have placed the links shown on the bottom image. Ian has got you to do one but what about the others?  Viewing on a phone...

I eliminated the 47u that connects to ground using that link. I edited the image you re-posted and erased link on top of circuit. You can see in is original

I was trying to recreate what I had built on my bread board and use the layout as a guide. It sounded great, but I can't get the circuit to work.

antonis

@DJPsychic: This very particular circuit (among many others) is well verified and established as a good & proper working one..

So, plz check your board & pot connections each by each point, then items proper values 'cause, after all, this very particular build is primarily sitting on your hands and secondly on our eyes..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 16, 2020, 02:43:55 PM
@DJPsychic: This very particular circuit (among many others) is well verified and established as a good & proper working one..

So, plz check your board & pot connections each by each point, then items proper values 'cause, after all, this very particular build is primarily sitting on your hands and secondly on our eyes..  :icon_wink:

Yes, I agree. I'm stumped. I may try and do it over again.

DJPsychic

Quote from: stallik on May 16, 2020, 12:53:51 PM

Looking at the version of layout compared to BB, it should work right?

antonis

NO..!!

There isn't GND anywhere else than last row, on item side..!!
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 17, 2020, 01:43:04 PM
NO..!!

There isn't GND anywhere else than last row, on item side..!!

Is this directed towards my last post?  ???

antonis

DJPsychic

Finally got it working. I tried using the diode as suggested earlier but was getting the "fizzle" effect. Reversed the polarity of the diode and solved most of the fizz, but still didn't sound great. So I'm just goin without it.

That was a challenging build! Glad It's over with (for now) :o

Thanks too all the members who chipped in! :)

antonis

Quote from: DJPsychic on May 18, 2020, 06:13:47 PM
So I'm just goin without it.

Without any diode(s) inside NFB loop, you can't call it Tube (or Son of) Screamer, can you..?? :icon_wink:

I'd suggest to wire a pair of high forward voltage drop diodes (like LEDs) and see what will happen..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 19, 2020, 06:07:18 AM
Quote from: DJPsychic on May 18, 2020, 06:13:47 PM
So I'm just goin without it.

Without any diode(s) inside NFB loop, you can't call it Tube (or Son of) Screamer, can you..?? :icon_wink:

I'd suggest to wire a pair of high forward voltage drop diodes (like LEDs) and see what will happen..

I tried using a germanium diode but i get that "dying battery" sound or "fizzle".  :o

Is there a way to increase my TONE range? Theres only a small amount of control at MIN and MAX.

antonis

Ge diodes exhibit the lowest forward voltage drop..
That's why I told you to use high forward voltage drop diodes, like LEDs..

About Tone response, plz post the final layout of your build..

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on May 19, 2020, 06:49:22 AM
Ge diodes exhibit the lowest forward voltage drop..
That's why I told you to use high forward voltage drop diodes, like LEDs..

About Tone response, plz post the final layout of your build..

It is same

edit: with ground on PIN 4 of course  ;)