Everybody needs an audio probe!

Started by m7b52000, May 18, 2020, 03:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7b52000

I am a relative novice, I have just spent many hours trying to find the fault in a dead pedal. It worked out of the enclosure but not when soldered in. After numerous re-installations I finally built and worked out how to use an audio probe. Problem found in 2 minutes - dry solder joint in the footswitch daughterboard. Parts cost for audio probe? about $3. Lesson learnt....

iainpunk

yes, an audio probe is vital to debugging circuits. although its also handy to have a small 9V battery powered amp so you can take the thing in to the field when you repair stuff
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

peps1

Quote from: iainpunk on May 18, 2020, 08:25:47 AM
yes, an audio probe is vital to debugging circuits. although its also handy to have a small 9V battery powered amp so you can take the thing in to the field when you repair stuff

So true, audio probe can be as handy as a scope, but a battery-powered amp saves a lot of messing around!

slashandburn

My post count here would be ten-fold if it wasnt for my audio probe.   Half a guitar cable and a capacitor has saved so many headaches.

I typically probe using a Noisy Cricket style amp. It squeals and buzzes like a guinea pig being attacked by a swarm of wasps. Not a pleasant noise but makes my guitar playing sound tuneful in comparison.

aron

My friend's uncle that told me this is still alive! Guys, he's 100 years old! Still knows tube stuff and is still lucid!

slashandburn

I probably learned that from him, given it was you lot that suggested I make make one. Pencil drawing scetch I was referred to. AMZ site probably?

That's impressive to still be as sharp at 100. Fair play to him. I'm 33 and I'm not even sure what day of the week it is.

Edit:  scratch that. I've just been reliably informed I'm actually 34. Well that was a quick year.

aron

Yes, that drawing was from when he described it long, long ago. At the beginning of this forum.
Yes, very cool that he is still sharp!

https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html