Aion Blueshift Chorus Rate Problem

Started by Elvis Cocho, June 07, 2020, 09:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Cocho

Hi Everyone,
To make a long story short, I have built a couple of Aion Blueshift (Boss Dimension C clone) pedals and sold them. I wanted to have one for myself but I didn't want to go through the trouble of building it again (it's a lengthy build), so I purchased someone else's build on Reverb.

The build quality is very good and I'm happy with the build. However, I compared it with my friend's Blueshift pedal (which I built myself) and I noticed that the chorus rate is different. In mode 4 with the rightmost switch up, the chorus on my pedal is just strange and wacky. I think the rate is a bit fast and it just doesn't sound lush and spacial the way my friend's does. I want to find out why.

My initial suspicion was that a resistor value was mistaken in the LFO sections just before the signal reaches the MN3102 clock chip via the 1N914 diode. I investigated that and found all values to be correct per the documentation. I also checked all the values that are connected to each mode switch and they were also correct.

The only major difference between the Blueshift and my friend's is that my chip has BL3102 and BL3207 pairs of chips instead of the Panasonic MN3102 and MN3207. I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet and blame the chipset. They are both biased properly and I've read that they are equivalents to the Panasonic chips as far as performance goes.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can check to investigate why the rate seems to be a bit high on my pedal? Thank you in advance to everyone for discussing. I'll be including the schematic

Elvis Cocho

I had thought that each one of the clock and bbd pairs had its own LFO, but the documentation says that there is a single LFO in the circuit. I'll specify then what I've checked out in the circuit:

I checked all resistor values in the op-amp networks to the right of the clock chips. For the IC8-IC9 pair, it starts to the right of D7 and ends at IC6A. For the IC3-IC4 pair, I checked the resistor values starting to the right of D6 and ended at IC5B. I also checked the resistor values tied to the mode switches.

Thank you!