BYOC Shredder, not getting correct voltages from the regulator

Started by sammy-arfie, August 27, 2020, 03:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammy-arfie

Hey y'all, i've been having difficulty getting my BYOC Shredder working correctly. This was my first ever pedal project, and it wasn't the best work on my part and i was working with a low quality soldering station and solder....long story short it never worked correctly. I've since moved on to  other projects but lately got the bug to get the Shredder working once and for all. I re-ordered all the components, cleaned off the board and started from scratch.

So i've finally got it re-assembled but it still does not work. Very noisy bypass and no effect still. Not even a lit LED. I started doing some voltage checks and eventually found that the voltage isn't getting regulated down to 4.5v like it's supposed to. Every point i checked where i should be getting 4.5v is reading around 9v. Anyone else have this issue and resolved it?

This is the earliest point in the circuit where i'm not getting the right voltages. All components were brand new and installed correctly.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

11-90-an

Welcome to da forum...

Pictures, please... :icon_wink:

Front and back, just might be a careless mistake... (that happens to all of us...!) :icon_mrgreen:
flip flop flip flop flip

DIY Bass

If you have soldered and desoldered a few times you may have lifted one or more pads off the PCB.  If that happens you get no electrical connection and weird things happen.  If you wriggle the connection with a multimeter lead or similar it will move in ways that it isn't supposed to.  if that happens then you need to use some wire to connect that component to a different pad.  If there are and connections that should go through the damaged pad you need to repair that as well.  As Antonis said, the R19 connection to ground is a likely problem to check out.

ElectricDruid

Another potential cause could be 47R instead of 47K for R18.

sammy-arfie

Quote from: 11-90-an on August 27, 2020, 05:50:57 PM
Welcome to da forum...

Pictures, please... :icon_wink:

Front and back, just might be a careless mistake... (that happens to all of us...!) :icon_mrgreen:

Hey y'all. Thanks for all the replies and welcomes ! Here's a few pics of that section of the board.

I checked leg of R19 that went to ground, it read roughly 8V. The ground of everything in fact on the power supply is reading 8V. Everything seems to be making contact with their respective pads and it is a 47k resistor installed like it should be.

DIY Bass

Can you explain how you are reading 8V on ground?  Usually when using a multimeter to measure voltage we would attach the black lead to a ground connection somewhere, and then use the red lead to probe for voltage at various points.  if you do this, then every ground connection on the whole project should read 0V, as they should all be connected together and therefor should all be at the same voltage.  If you are getting 8V on a ground connection, then you are either not measuring like this, or your grounds are not all connected together.

willienillie

I'm going to guess this connection is somehow broken:

You can use that negative cap lead, bend it over and solder it to R19.

sammy-arfie

Hey, so update. I've found one of the grounds not making a connection. It ended up being one of the grounds to for the jacks where a solder pad had lifted. I've jumped it over to one of the other grounds and it's making it to the ground now. However, i am still getting 8V where i was before.