Delay/Chorus dual unit

Started by spoontex, July 13, 2020, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoontex

Hi,

anyone knows if exist some DIY project for building a dual stompbox with delay and chorus? Like the truetone H20?

Thanks!

bluebunny

Quote from: truetone
Just like having 2 pedals, but in 1 housing.

So pick a delay circuit you like and a chorus circuit you like and then put them into one box.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

diydave

Quote from: bluebunny on July 14, 2020, 03:04:00 AM
So pick a delay circuit you like and a chorus circuit you like and then put them into one box.

I have a pcb off a small time delay + small clone chorus gathering dust on my shelf.
I'll get to it eventually to make a pedal from it  8)

spoontex

Quote from: bluebunny on July 14, 2020, 03:04:00 AM
Quote from: truetone
Just like having 2 pedals, but in 1 housing.

Yes, I know  :)

But something more compact, taking advantage of the same chip, pt2399 for example.

Sorry for the misunderstood.

patrick398

You could do it with one pt2399 but you'd never be able to use the chorus and delay at the same time. Basically you'd have a footswitch which selected two different delay times, one as short as possible for the chorus, the other longer but adjustable for the delay.
I don't know of any layouts that do this but the Triton delay over at tagboard is a delay with two different delay times selected by footswitch, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to mod that into what you want

ElectricDruid

The H2O is a pedal that gives you lots of variations on one basic effect - modulated delay. That can produce various sounds depending on the settings. Short delay, some modulation, and dry signal mixed in gives you "chorus". Short delay, no modulation, dry signal mixed in gives you "slap back". Very short delay, some modulation, no dry signal mixed in gives you "vibrato". There are other options and also in-between cases that don't really have names.

Yes, you could build something like that. PT2399 with modulation would get you close to some of it. The PT2399 doesn't do very short echoes that well, so it's not ideal for chorus sounds or vibrato, but it's good for slpaback echoes, weird warbley stuff, and strange tape-slowing-down-speeding-up-again sounds. Have a look at this thread for some ideas and sound samples:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=122859

HTH,
Tom

spoontex

Hi,

I'm a stubborn, and I like to learn. Si, I decided to design a new pedal. It's a Rebote Delay and a Zombie Chorus in a modular system to fit in a 125B enclosure.  Inspired by designs of Kevin from Aion. I baptize with the name of AQUAMAN.

What do you think?

Regards

ElectricDruid

Looks excellent. My only worry would be finding suitably low-profile electrolytics, but that's a practical difficulty not anything more serious.

Carry on!

spoontex

Thanks!!

I need to redesignd the pots board, they are very close. And recheck the schematic.

spoontex

I redesigned the potentiometers board. But I have a question: It's a problem that the BBD ( U2 ) is near the power jack?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: spoontex on July 18, 2020, 11:12:48 AM
But I have a question: It's a problem that the BBD ( U2 ) is near the power jack?

It depends a bit on the vertical clearances. It's not ideal, certainly, but you showed an "outie" jack (nut on the outside) on your picture and they're much more forgiving. If you had an "innie" (nut on the inside) you'd have to make sure you'd got space in the box behind the hole much more.

spoontex

ElectricDruid

Mark Hammer

I agree.  Very nice work and lovely sounds.