15 years ago - Vulcan

Started by aron, May 20, 2020, 12:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I found this Vulcan clip and I think it's time to revisit this gem. I found a bag of parts with all the parts I need to rebuild it. I have no idea where the original pedal went. All of the sounds in the clip were just volume and pickup changes.

Check it out

I'm pretty sure this was a Vulcan with a tone control.

Marcos - Munky

Wow, 15 years ago? I remember I built it just after Joe released the schematic! This is one of the most awesome hi gain od  I've ever played with.

aron

I know. I am going to build it again! I need DISTORTION!!!!!

And.... THANK YOU for being around for all of these years!!!!!!! WOW!

antonis

Quote from: aron on May 20, 2020, 01:19:04 AM
I need DISTORTION!!!!!

More than obtained with Insanity Box..??  :icon_eek:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

Now you're making me want to rehouse the Blackfire and Highway 89 circuit boards I pulled and packed up in order to repurpose the enclosures (the priciest part of a pedal).  The last 5 years of the previous century, and first 5 of this one, gave us some mighty circuits that still stand the test of time.

Fancy Lime

Yes, a great design indeed. The JFET version seems to have some fans but the BJT version is very under-appreciated imo. The diode-compression stages are a fantastic basis for amp-in-a-box style circuits. I tinkered with such a thing years ago but saw something shiny, got distracted... you know how it goes. About time I revisited that idea. Thanks for reminding me, Aron!

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

stallik

Would someone please educate me?
On the circuit diagram above, there are 6 voltage node arrows along the top, one of which is marked 9v.
Given the others are not marked, do they all connect together?
If so, is it normal practice to presume a single voltage supply unless explicitly stated (VCC, 5v etc)?

Sorry to be dumb
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

digi2t

Quote from: antonis on May 20, 2020, 06:18:10 AM
I need DISTORTION!!!!!

More than obtained with Insanity Box..??  :icon_eek:

I have to side with Toni on this one. Insanity was one of the first veros I ever did, must be 10 years ago now. It's pretty.... insane.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

amz-fx

Quote from: aron on May 20, 2020, 12:48:17 AM
I found this Vulcan clip and I think it's time to revisit this gem. I found a bag of parts with all the parts I need to rebuild it. I have no idea where the original pedal went. All of the sounds in the clip were just volume and pickup changes.

Nice!  Makes me want to build one!

Best regards, Jack

davent

Quote from: stallik on May 20, 2020, 11:58:17 AM
Would someone please educate me?
On the circuit diagram above, there are 6 voltage node arrows along the top, one of which is marked 9v.
If so, is it normal practice to presume a single voltage supply unless explicitly stated (VCC, 5v etc)?

Sorry to be dumb

Here's a 2009 schematic for a 4 stage Vulcan and it shows 9v for all the top arrows.

https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=94638097b4715075c6cc921f7720ada8&topic=4338.msg34732#msg34732
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

vigilante397

I'm not going to lie, looking at the schematic I wasn't expecting to be impressed. But I am impressed :icon_eek: I'm working up my list for my next PCB order, looks like Vulcan will probably make its way on there!
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Marcos - Munky

I know. I am going to build it again! I need DISTORTION!!!!!

And.... THANK YOU for being around for all of these years!!!!!!! WOW!
I won't build it again because I already have one :icon_twisted:. And THANK YOU for keeping this so nice forum!

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 20, 2020, 07:37:45 AM
Now you're making me want to rehouse the Blackfire and Highway 89 circuit boards I pulled and packed up in order to repurpose the enclosures (the priciest part of a pedal).  The last 5 years of the previous century, and first 5 of this one, gave us some mighty circuits that still stand the test of time.
Those two are another awesome overdrives. HV89 is a pixed one on my pedalboard. Another one I really love is Joe Davisson's Obsidian, BJT version. I had to build one for a friend who was threatening to kidnap mine :icon_lol:

Quote from: stallik on May 20, 2020, 11:58:17 AM
Yep.

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 20, 2020, 01:33:07 PM
I'm not going to lie, looking at the schematic I wasn't expecting to be impressed. But I am impressed :icon_eek: I'm working up my list for my next PCB order, looks like Vulcan will probably make its way on there!
I have a verified layout, if you like. 1.93" x 1.38" with board mounted pots. Designed to fit inside a tuna (or sardine?) can, so it's smaller than a 1590B and can be modded to fit a 1590B better.

vigilante397

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on May 20, 2020, 05:03:59 PM
I have a verified layout, if you like. 1.93" x 1.38" with board mounted pots. Designed to fit inside a tuna (or sardine?) can, so it's smaller than a 1590B and can be modded to fit a 1590B better.

Thanks, probably through-hole though, right? I need SMD :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

aron

Mark Hammer

aron

Someone actually asked me that about the Insanity box. They are insane.

soggybag

What does that diode on the base do? That's a unique feature.

aron

<The diodes in the bias network prevent hard-saturation of the transistors.>

From the web page. It really does sound great! Building another soon!

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 20, 2020, 05:47:00 PM
Thanks, probably through-hole though, right? I need SMD :P
Yep. Well, there are a few traces that runs under some resistors/caps, so I don't know how doable it is to be converted to an smd layout. Anywaym if you want the eagle files, just let me know.