Phaser/flanger sweep control

Started by StephenGiles, May 20, 2020, 07:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

My nephew sent me a mix of a recording he did which contained a short section of solo guitar chords which is phased, but with the sweep interrupted at each break in the chords, then continuing from the same place after the break.

I think there has been some discussion on this before, but it seems to me that to achieve this in analog, one would need to energise the sweep control voltage with a "signal present" message, which is held at the point it reached when a "no signal present" message is received until receiving the next "signal present" message.

Does that make sense, has it been done and if so where.

Thinks - yes it has been done before in the Aphex Compellor, for which sadly the important part of the circuitry is hidden!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

The Alesis Phlngr ( https://www.strumentimusicali.net/manuali/ALESIS_PHLNGR_ENG.pdf ) has a variety of modulation types, and allows for tempo syncing to an audio source's peaks.  It also allows for sweep interruption-and-reset, but to the best of my knowledge, does not allow for a stop-right-there-now-continue option.

It's a powerful little unit, and to my shame I have not learned how to exploit it.  That said, it is really more of a table-top unit than a floor pedal.

StephenGiles

Thanks Mark, I can't see any schematics obviously showing on the net, but I can put some feelers out. I'll also take a look at the EH Bi-Filter which from memory had a plethora of options.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".