What the heck is this part?

Started by slowpogo, May 22, 2020, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpogo

In the green circle. I'm pretty sure it's a capacitor in the picofarad range, since I can recognize all the other parts and match them against the Dead End FX Flint parts list.  But what kind of capacitor?  I've never seen anything like that.

antonis

Looks like high voltage paper cap..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Psychophonic

While we're at it, what is this part? Cylindrical object at the bottom. Pulled these from a 1940's console radio.

jacehzoid

Quote from: Psychophonic on May 22, 2020, 03:04:06 PM
While we're at it, what is this part? Cylindrical object at the bottom. Pulled these from a 1940's console radio.

Looks like an inductor

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Psychophonic

Any use for it in the guitar pedal world?

willienillie

Not that I know of.  I've got a bunch of those big box silver micas, never used one in anything.  Maybe someday.

italianguy63

Quote from: Psychophonic on May 22, 2020, 03:27:19 PM

No a choke is a filter for certain frequencies..  no use in pedals...
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Psychophonic

Quote from: willienillie on May 22, 2020, 03:47:24 PM
Not that I know of.  I've got a bunch of those big box silver micas, never used one in anything.  Maybe someday.
Yeah I need to decipher the dot codes to determine the values. If they're in the range of anything I can use, I'd love to A/B them against their new/modern counterpart.

EBK

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 22, 2020, 03:52:05 PM
Quote from: Psychophonic on May 22, 2020, 03:27:19 PM

No a choke is a filter for certain frequencies..  no use in pedals...
I prefer to think its usefulness is dependent upon the imagination of the builder.  :icon_wink:
Could probably use it as a cool looking jumper wire or something.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

antonis

Quote from: EBK on May 22, 2020, 04:11:53 PM
Could probably use it as a cool looking jumper wire or something.

DC jumper, only.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

vigilante397

You see inductors in the form of SMD ferrite beads on a lot of commercial pedals for power filtering, particularly for sensitive digital devices. But something that size, probably not super useful.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ripthorn

Use the inductor to great a one band graphic EQ :)
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Fancy Lime

Quote from: slowpogo on May 22, 2020, 02:36:10 PM
In the green circle. I'm pretty sure it's a capacitor in the picofarad range, since I can recognize all the other parts and match them against the Dead End FX Flint parts list.  But what kind of capacitor?  I've never seen anything like that.

Cool! I am waiting for parts for a mojo booster build, this thing here definitely also qualifies for mojo points. I have been looking at a lot of really stupid mojo parts lately. One of my main takeaways is: If you don't know what it is, it's probably a capacitor. There are just oh-so-many super strange caps. "Beeswax-paper cryo capacitors" are bigger than the part in your picture but I would out be surprised if it turned out to be a hand rolled Osmium plated fruit bat earlobe capacitor or something similar. Let us know if you find out, I'm very intrigued by obscure parts.

Cheers,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

willienillie

Quote from: Psychophonic on May 22, 2020, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: willienillie on May 22, 2020, 03:47:24 PM
Yeah I need to decipher the dot codes to determine the values. If they're in the range of anything I can use, I'd love to A/B them against their new/modern counterpart.

Some of them have the value stamped on, like the .005 1000V in your picture.  I have a cap meter too, but doesn't tell about voltage rating, though they were mostly used in tube circuits, so 9V should be no problem.  I don't know if they were prone to leakage problems, I would guess not but I've never tested any.

soggybag

I looked up the schematic for the Saturn V and there are no chokes or coils in there. I wonder if this is a wire resistor?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: slowpogo on May 22, 2020, 02:36:10 PM

That board is beautiful...carefully designed for the extremely random collection of mojo components fitted onto it! You could design that same circuit with standard modern parts and it would probably work just the same but it wouldn't be half as much *fun* as that one. Love it.

alanp

The stress relief holes for the wires are also classy.

Rob Strand

The inductor is only about 20uH (that's micro-henries) or so.

Probably used for some sort of non-critical RF filtering; perhaps from a TV or radio.
Could be on the supply or for signal.

The value is too small for a wah or EQ and the resistance is too high for an SMPS.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on May 22, 2020, 02:46:04 PM
Looks like high voltage paper cap..

I have my doubts about this. a high voltage cap would surely have well insulated metalisations/end caps/connections. safety and all that. I am quite prepared to stand for [but not until] any and all corrections.
don't make me draw another line.