What the heck is this part?

Started by slowpogo, May 22, 2020, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

QuoteMake sure to go for the biggest, COOLEST, and RAREST cap you can possibly find! After all, you don't want someone else coming long afterwards and cloning *your* pedal, do you?!? Best way to avoid that is to use parts no-one else has...Make it your own!

Epoxy/Araldite  over the top of green-caps to make your own caps like this,

Except make your own labels and mark them with the wrong value of course.  That will teach those cloners once and for all.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

slowpogo

Here's my build using the parts from my list above. The Flint board doesn't prioritize sexiness so it's not quite as cool looking as the original, but it's pretty sweet. And OBVIOUSLY it sounds better this way  ;) This pedal is a great always-on fairy duster, just adds the slightest pro sheen to everything.

textbook

very cool build! you crammed that big cap in there anyway! i used some of the links you provided as well, so mine will have some definite similarities. i think building and designing with aesthetic in mind is awesome. if you're going to make something, why not make it looks interesting. it becomes a bespoke piece of functional design rather than just another pedal. that makes it special in its own right, even if it doesn't sound any better/different.
-jeremy

Rob Strand

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

duck_arse

Quote from: Rob Strand on July 09, 2020, 09:14:26 PM
QuoteMake sure to go for the biggest, COOLEST, and RAREST cap you can possibly find! After all, you don't want someone else coming long afterwards and cloning *your* pedal, do you?!? Best way to avoid that is to use parts no-one else has...Make it your own!

Epoxy/Araldite  over the top of green-caps to make your own caps like this,

Except make your own labels and mark them with the wrong value of course.  That will teach those cloners once and for all.

I find the hardest part of this is moulding all the end-cracks in the epoxy, y'no, so's they look real.
don't make me draw another line.

Rob Strand

QuoteI find the hardest part of this is moulding all the end-cracks in the epoxy, y'no, so's they look real.
Ah yes, I've got a few where the epoxy is peeling off the body part.
I guess the cracked ones are old-old-stock and non-cracked ones are new-old-stock.

textbook

SMALL WORLD... i just stumbled upon that exact cap at my local surplus place on friday 🤯
-jeremy

Psychophonic

Anyone know what this is? I'm combing my scrap boards for a pair of .15uF caps. Haven't found anything marked 154.

willienillie

Psychophonic

Quote from: willienillie on August 08, 2020, 05:00:04 PM
Does it measure 150pF?
I'm fairly new to this and have not ordered the $20 tester yet. Coming soon.

Rob Strand

I haven't tried to look up the numbers but it could save a bit of time measuring it with an ohm meter.  If it has a low resistance it could be a PTC device.

duck_arse

polyswitch, resettable fuse - like Rob sez.
don't make me draw another line.

Psychophonic

Thank you gentlemen. I went ahead and ordered the caps I need.