Help identifying a transistor...

Started by ttt23, May 23, 2020, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttt23

4G87
N715
EBC

Trying to find a suitable replacement for this part. Any help appreciated! Thank you

ttt23

So the transistor is a PNP with hFE of 225. It's from an old homebrew fuzz pedal. Any suggestions for a replacement?

antonis

BC556B/557B/560B flipped 1800..
(also BC558B/559B in case of actual working VCE is marginally up to -30V - 2N715 VCEO is rated up to -35V..)

Don't know bias/working circuit hFE dependence, so you might get more than one to choose appropriate hFE ( B hFE classification = 200 - 450 )
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bushidov

A 2N3906 has that same pinout and ones I typically have are around the 200 hFE mark.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

antonis

Quote from: bushidov on May 29, 2020, 06:21:05 AM
A 2N3906 has that same pinout and ones I typically have are around the 200 hFE mark.

Are you sure for working current of circuit 2N715 is placed..??

BCs exhibit an almost zero slope hFE curve up to 60mA Collector current whereas 2N3906 are simply unpredictable..

P.S.
hFE of particular BJT is totally useless without measurement parameters clearly stated..  :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ttt23

Transistor in question has hFE of 225 tested at 10uA base current and Vce2.8V

Quote from: antonis on May 29, 2020, 07:28:28 AM
Quote from: bushidov on May 29, 2020, 06:21:05 AM

Are you sure for working current of circuit 2N715 is placed..??

BCs exhibit an almost zero slope hFE curve up to 60mA Collector current whereas 2N3906 are simply unpredictable..

P.S.
hFE of particular BJT is totally useless without measurement parameters clearly stated..  :icon_wink:

antonis

Quote from: ttt23 on May 29, 2020, 09:58:59 AM
Transistor in question has hFE of 225 tested at 10uA base current and Vce2.8V

If so, why you don't search for a p-n-p of E-B-C pinout, tested at 10μA Base current and VCE 2.8V..??

Even if WE did particular measurement for your sake, results would refer on OUR particular item..
(possibly been far away from YOUR one..)

That why I told you above to get more than one item of the B classification.. :icon_wink:

mozz

Doubt very much it's a 2n715. Will look up the number when I get home from work.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: mozz on May 29, 2020, 11:31:03 AM
Doubt very much it's a 2n715. Will look up the number when I get home from work.

I agree. and I think the first line reads 4687 .... and that it's a house number. our house number is 6, so it's not from round here.

the number 2N2221 came up in cross reference, but that was a few days ago, and I've forgotten what number I was searching.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

Now realized it's n-p-n, in case of indeed is 2N715..

Any idea for what circuit is placed..??

ttt23

I was given this pedal from a music shop going out of business sale 20 years ago. It's labeled as a scrap germanium drive. I've always liked it and am trying to clone it. Here are pictures from board above and below.  input-> Drive pot-> orange wires. Transistor (and pins) in question are circled. Images are mirrored to try and make sense of the mess of solder below...And I have no clue what I'm doing really, ha - learning through this project!

anotherjim

46 (week) 87 (year) could be a date code?

ElectricDruid

I'd have guessed 2SC4687, but the pin-out definitely doesn't fit:

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/640328/SavantIC/2SC4687/1

...so...sorry, I don't know.

Rob Strand

Quote46 (week) 87 (year) could be a date code?
Seem like that to me.

The N715 could be an OEM part number.

There's a small chance 715 is a process number,  Fairchild or National Semiconductors.   There was a National Semiconductor discrete databook in the web with process numbers in it.   There's no logos on the part so I've got my doubts.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

mozz

Can't find it in any of my cross ref books. As was said, house number, you may never know.
  • SUPPORTER

ttt23

Thanks for looking!
Quote from: mozz on May 29, 2020, 11:03:29 PM
Can't find it in any of my cross ref books. As was said, house number, you may never know.

duck_arse

there is no visible germanium devices on that board, either. not unless they are vrrr special types.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

digi2t

Quote from: duck_arse on May 29, 2020, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: mozz on May 29, 2020, 11:31:03 AM

I agree. and I think the first line reads 4687 .... and that it's a house number. our house number is 6, so it's not from round here.

We're 2632. Might be from up the road.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Rob Strand

We're 2632. Might be from up the road.
I think it's the address for Stark Enterprises, they know a lot about transistors.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.