Help with dirty shirley please

Started by whomeno, May 24, 2020, 02:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whomeno

I did an audio probe got sound to the top of 3.3k at out put it is not comeing through  the resister. changed the 3.3k resister still the same.
Also what would the 100k trimmer be for. and how would I set it. off board wiring is correct.

Voltage in is 9 volt
072top left
1  4.4
2  4.4
3  3.3
4  0
5  4.4
6  4.5
7  4.5
8  8.5

072 top right
1  4.5
2  4.5
3  4.4
4  0
5  4.7
6  4.8
7  4.6
8  8.5
1  5.8
2  4.6
3  4.3
4  8.5
5  4.5
6  4.3
7  4.0
8  5.5
9  4.5
10  4.5
11  0
12  3.8
13  4.6
14  5.1

Gear as of now
Gibson 2017 Les Paul Tribute T
Epiphone Les paul Special (upgraded)
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
2 X 12 Cabinet with celestion vintage 30 & celestion G12T-75
And a lot of pedals

niektb

Hi whomeno, the trimmer you're refering to is a gain trimmer (as you might have guessed from the schematic)
The dirty shirley has multiple clipping stages: soft-clipped leds and diodes in the feedback loop of the opamps
and hard-clipped leds between the presence and the treble pot. With the trimmer you can balance between the amount of hard-clipping and soft-clipping and shape the character of your drive sound. (but irregardless of the settings you choose, it always sounds amazing ;D (I've built a combination of the DS and the BE-OD))
For an analysis you can read this excellent post: https://prentisseffects.blogspot.com/2018/01/thermionic-distortion-friedman-be-od.html
It's about the BE-OD, not the Dirty Shirley but the schematics are very much alike.

As to your other question, are you're LEDs lighting up when you play?
Never understood why people bother to create these proto boards for such complex designs lol (rather than creating a simple PCB)

antonis

As far as I can see, cut right next to 3k3 resistor lower leg (OUT) isn't completely countersunk..

There is an uncut thin upper trace leading to TL072 pin 6 (non-inverting input..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

whomeno

corrected the problems. still no goLike before I have sound too 3.3k upper leg, nothing going throgh the 3.3k at out put.
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

antonis

There are only 2 pads to trace, whomeno..!! Only 2..!!!
(lower leg of 3k3 resistor & Out wire pad..)

If it's so big problem, delete 3k3 resistor (or let it be as it is) and take OUT from upper leg of 3k3 resistor (between +9V &  Ground..)

edit: Brazil is closer to forum server than Greece.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Marcos - Munky

With the multimeter on continuity mode, put one probe on the copper row that's connected to the lower leg of the resistor and the output wire. Check for continuity between this row, the row above it and the row bellow it. Also, using the multimeter on resistence mode, check the value of this resistor (without removing it from the board).

Or simply remove it from the board and move the output wire to the row this resistor's upper leg is connected, where you're getting sound using the audio probe XD.

whomeno

antonis   I did trace those pads!!
Marcos - Munky   checked for  continuity on rows above and below NO continuity. checked the 3.3k and it comes out to 3.2k. Also I have continuity from lower leg of 3.3k to output jack. no shorts any where from 3.3k to output jack , I don't know what is causing this. I have built a total of30 pedals from  http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/. So I am not new to this.
I am going to move out put wire
Thanks
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Marcos - Munky

This is very strange, because it's a small resistor and it should only drop the volume a little bit. Well, that based in the fact the resistor is working, and it seems to be. No shorts with other rows, the value is correct...

Anyway, just move the output wire to the point before the resistor (upper leg) and consider this as a successful build. Your build is indeed successful, this resistor is doing nearly to nothing to the circuit.

Slowpoke101

The board's output lead is probably finding its way to ground somewhere.
Most likely culprit would be the output jack being wired incorrectly.
Or the foot-switch has collapsed internally and is making odd connections with its terminals - don't
laugh. I've had it happen with switches before.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Actually, this does makes much sense. The output wire connected to ground will have no output at all. And I once replaced the switch from a crybaby which had internally collapsed. If you take the output from the upper leg of the resistor and there's still no sound, check those things.

whomeno

Slowpoke101
You was right it was the stomp switch working fine now
Thanks
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals