S8550 PNP transistor

Started by jfrabat, May 26, 2020, 11:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrabat

Hey, guys.

My Roomba robot (bought in 2006!) died during the pandemic, and I replaced it with a newer model.  But rather than throwing everything away, I decided to scavenge some parts off of it.  The main board, apart from a bunch electrolytic caps (most are 100uF, which I was short on!) and some diodes (1N5819 seems to be the majority; I have used 1N5817 the voltage side of pedals, but I figure this can work as well), has some of these S8550 transistors.  A quick look online says that these are "PNP transistor, designed for Class B push-pull audio amplifier and general purpose applications.", which I read as "please use in your guitar pedals." 

Have any of you got any experience with these transistors?  Are they useful?  Any particular circuit good suited to them?
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

jfrabat

By the way, it also has some B772 PNP transistors; are those good for anything useful?  How about S8050 NPN?  It has got some of those as well...
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

Peaved

Kinda late, but yeah I just used one of those guys in a pedal. I made a rangemaster-Fuzz face-tone circuit. I was having trouble with the Ge I was using in the rangemaster section. Had this sitting around, so I swapped it in. Sounds great, soldered it in.

iainpunk

i'd say you should just experiment with them, swap em in and out of fuzz circuits ''until it sticks'' when its the best transistor for the circuit.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers