potentiometers marking clarification

Started by o_gold, May 27, 2020, 03:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

o_gold

Hello there,
I am new to electronics and I got a general confusion regarding the marking of potentiometers as I understand it varies from manufactures.

As I understands - A is mark for Linear. B for Logarithmic(sometimes refers as Audio(?)) and C is mark for Anti-Log 'Reverse'. is that true ?

for more practical questions. I would like to build this pedal https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/06/4ms-noise-swash.html?showComment=1590471604322#c6720885419446272716     

All potentiometers mark with B. this is mean for Logarithmic(Audio) type?
I'm sourcing my parts from Tayda. could anyone confirm that the pots called Logarithmic in tayda are marked as B ?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Slowpoke101

The taper markings vary from continent to continent. It is slowly getting a bit more standardised.
If you are ordering from Tayda the pots with the "A" marking are analogue or audio taper. The "B" marking is linear taper. "C" taper is reverse analogue (audio ). Other tapers exist which are even more confusing but are not really a concern here.

The pots specified in the tagboard layout are all linear, including the volume pot. It may seem confusing that the volume pot is specified as linear but someone tried it and was happy enough with it. I do suggest that you consider purchasing both linear and audio taper pots of the same value so that you can experiment.
  • SUPPORTER

o_gold

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on May 27, 2020, 03:46:46 AM
The taper markings vary from continent to continent. It is slowly getting a bit more standardised.
If you are ordering from Tayda the pots with the "A" marking are analogue or audio taper. The "B" marking is linear taper. "C" taper is reverse analogue (audio ). Other tapers exist which are even more confusing but are not really a concern here.

The pots specified in the tagboard layout are all linear, including the volume pot. It may seem confusing that the volume pot is specified as linear but someone tried it and was happy enough with it. I do suggest that you consider purchasing both linear and audio taper pots of the same value so that you can experiment.

Thanks for your clarifications! Just to be extra sure - when you say "analogue" you also mean to Logarithmic ? (what is marks as A in tayda, right?)

Slowpoke101

Quote from: o_gold on May 27, 2020, 04:01:16 AM
Thanks for your clarifications! Just to be extra sure - when you say "analogue" you also mean to Logarithmic ? (what is marks as A in tayda, right?)

Yes, I meant Logarithmic  :icon_redface:. Long day and the brain-fog is now even more dense than usual  :o.
  • SUPPORTER

o_gold

I've got another small question (I don't want to open a new topic for it) regarding this schematic : https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/10/sagan-delay.html
what will be a good replacement to the 2n5457 ? as is not available where I shop .

Thanks

Slowpoke101

Quote from: o_gold on May 27, 2020, 04:48:09 AM
I've got another small question (I don't want to open a new topic for it) regarding this schematic : https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/10/sagan-delay.html
what will be a good replacement to the 2n5457 ? as is not available where I shop .

Thanks

You are new to electronics and you want to build something that complex?   :icon_eek: Wow!..OK, that should be a nice challenge.

The JFET (2N5457 ) appears to be used as a bypass mixer so that repeat tails can still be heard after setting the effect to bypass. The JFET is mainly switching so almost any of the most common (assuming that you can find them - getting very hard to obtain ) JFETs can be used such as J201, J113, 2SK117, 2SK30A. What can you get hold of?

Also be aware that most of the JFETs that are offered for sale on eBay are junk. There are some suppliers that offer working devices but most are questionable.
  • SUPPORTER

o_gold

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on May 27, 2020, 05:26:18 AM
Quote from: o_gold on May 27, 2020, 04:48:09 AM

Thanks

You are new to electronics and you want to build something that complex?   :icon_eek: Wow!..OK, that should be a nice challenge.

The JFET (2N5457 ) appears to be used as a bypass mixer so that repeat tails can still be heard after setting the effect to bypass. The JFET is mainly switching so almost any of the most common (assuming that you can find them - getting very hard to obtain ) JFETs can be used such as J201, J113, 2SK117, 2SK30A. What can you get hold of?

Also be aware that most of the JFETs that are offered for sale on eBay are junk. There are some suppliers that offer working devices but most are questionable.

Yes, perhaps is complicated for my level, but I build successfully now the  Madbean Cave Dweller II Dub Edition and the MXR distortion + , so I'm up for taking that chance!
I can hold of 2SK30A but I would need to wait some days.

What about the j112 that I already hold at home ?

antonis

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on May 27, 2020, 04:10:53 AM
Quote from: o_gold on May 27, 2020, 04:01:16 AM
when you say "analogue" you also mean to Logarithmic ?
Yes, I meant Logarithmic

"Analog" to human ear responce.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
As Ian said, A/B markings are strongly depended on particular manufacturer..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Slowpoke101

Quote from: o_gold on May 27, 2020, 06:13:12 AM
What about the j112 that I already hold at home ?

I can see no harm in trying a J112 in that location. It may work quite well.

Edit: The main thing to remember with any of these FETs - make sure that you know the pinout configurations for them. There is nothing more frustrating when you are trying to get an effect to work only to find that you have put a FET in backwards....It gets worse when that FET doesn't match the datasheet for that type.
The main thing to know is which lead is the gate...source and drain (on JFETs ) are interchangeable.
  • SUPPORTER

o_gold

Thanks for your answer ,I will definitely will try the j112 first. btw - Is there something like the dip component so you can replace transistors like you can do with IC's ?

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..