Two questions about component leads (vero/stripboard)

Started by Sesh, May 27, 2020, 08:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesh

Hi!

As the topic says, I've got two questions I want to ask about component leads.

1. I'm building vero layouts (different ones) and I don't have any jumper wire. Right now I'm using clipped component leads for links, but some of the layouts call for longer jumpers than I can possibly get out of the leads, so my first question is: Can I solder two leads together? If so: is it "good practice" or is the result too brittle or something like that?

2. A couple of vero layouts call for 1n34A germanium diodes. I bought some off Banzai, but as they're axial and with short leads, I can't bent them to fit the 3 row (7,5 mm) space I need. Can I solder component leads from other components to extent the leads of the diodes?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Sesh on May 27, 2020, 08:35:36 AM
Can I solder two leads together? If so: is it "good practice" or is the result too brittle or something like that?

I dunno that it's "good practice", but it'll work fine. In terms of reliability, you've introduced one potential point of failure, but that's not the hugest thing in the world. No-one's life depends on it, and you're not launching it into space, after all...;)

2. A couple of vero layouts call for 1n34A germanium diodes. I bought some off Banzai, but as they're axial and with short leads, I can't bent them to fit the 3 row (7,5 mm) space I need. Can I solder component leads from other components to extent the leads of the diodes?
Yes, sure. Be careful though, because germanium diodes can be damaged by heat. So keep the soldering brief and as far away from the body of the diode as you can. The real pros have little reverse-tweezers that clip onto the lead to act a heatsink, but I never bothered.

Sesh

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 27, 2020, 08:52:43 AM
Can I solder two leads together? If so: is it "good practice" or is the result too brittle or something like that?

I dunno that it's "good practice", but it'll work fine. In terms of reliability, you've introduced one potential point of failure, but that's not the hugest thing in the world. No-one's life depends on it, and you're not launching it into space, after all...;)

Yes, sure. Be careful though, because germanium diodes can be damaged by heat. So keep the soldering brief and as far away from the body of the diode as you can. The real pros have little reverse-tweezers that clip onto the lead to act a heatsink, but I never bothered.

Thanks a bunch!

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Some of our wiser members (wiser than me) would probably insist that you twist/hook the leads before soldering them, so they are more mechanically secure, perhaps something like this:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

antonis

Some other members (other than me) would probably insist that, in case of following wiser members suggestion, there wouldn't be left any usable length of clipped component leads.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Quote from: antonis on May 27, 2020, 10:38:58 AM
Some other members (other than me) would probably insist that, in case of following wiser members suggestion, there wouldn't be left any usable length of clipped component leads.. :icon_wink:
Very true for those germanium diodes as described!
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Sesh

Quote from: antonis on May 27, 2020, 09:06:39 AM
Quote from: Sesh on May 27, 2020, 08:55:21 AM
Thanks a bunch!

Not of burned out Ge diodes, hopefully.. :icon_wink:

I'll be faster with that soldering iron than Man with No Name with a revolver, promise!  8)

Sesh

Quote from: EBK on May 27, 2020, 10:33:24 AM
Some of our wiser members (wiser than me) would probably insist that you twist/hook the leads before soldering them, so they are more mechanically secure, perhaps something like this:

Good tip, thanks! I have tons with a decent length, so twisting them should still give me enough to be able to reach.

Marcos - Munky

You can just use a piece of wire as the jumper. I don't do vero, but I always keep some "bigger than parts leads" piece of leftover wires to use as jumpers.

antonis

I don't have any jumper wire.
Quote from: Marcos - Munky on May 27, 2020, 10:59:55 AM
You can just use a piece of wire as the jumper.

Is this some kind of oxymoron conversation..??

marcelomd

I use stripped CAT5 ethernet cable for jumpers/longer runs. They are:
- Cheap;
- Right size for vero- and protoboard.
- Solid core: You can shape them and they stay in place;
- Not so good for offboard wiring. Solid core wires break easily.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: antonis on May 27, 2020, 11:03:07 AM
I don't have any jumper wire.
Quote from: Marcos - Munky on May 27, 2020, 10:59:55 AM
You can just use a piece of wire as the jumper.

Is this some kind of oxymoron conversation..??
At least down here, a "jumper wire" is a kind of solid core thin wire with black, orange or gray insulation, with the diameter very similar to a parts lead, often used for telephone lines. Like ethernet cables, but a little bit thicker.

I was meaning any piece of wire that he uses to solder offboard stuff like pots and jacks. Not really a "jumper wire". Anyway, do you have a piece of any kind of thin wire? That'll do.

Yazoo

Plus one for using old network cabling for jumpers. I had a load of cables which I have gone through, both solid core and stranded. You can also get zero ohm resistors which I have also used as jumpers, if you want to get fancy. ;)

As pointed out, solid core is no good for connecting off-board components. I repaired a Blue Box today and I had used solid core to wire the pots. This was OK until I had to move them and I ended up having to redo two leads which had snapped, very irritating!

slashandburn

As far as solid core "jumper" wires I've noticed recently how widely available "Fuse Wire" seems to be.

I live somewhere fairly rural and even my local tiny convenience store seems to stock it, though its hidden on their rack of ramdom household items amongst the fingernail clippers and children's pacifiers.

antonis

Handmade fuses with AWG21..  ??
(do I smell smoke..??)

slashandburn

Uninsulated single core wire that's rated for 3 and 5A.

Obviously I'm suggesting the fuse wire could have a use as a jumper wire on 9v pedal layout, not the other way around. Just a passing thought.

anotherjim

Funny how many places still sell cards of fusewire. I haven't seen any wired fuses for a long time.

I must be a "pro" 'cause I have a pair of reverse tweezers, but I also use some dinky little aluminium hair styling clips. They don't have much spring strength, but they are useful...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/80pcs-Double-Prong-Metal-Alligator-Hair-Clips-Styling-Curl-Bow-Sectioning-Pins-/271257740109
I don't know if those linked are aluminium, but honestly anything all metal will do some heat sinking. Rather more important is that the heatsink itself won't take solder easy. The few that I have were borrowed from Milady's Boudoir long ago.
...one of the few occasions I can mention "hair" and "style" what with me not having much of either.

tubegeek

My local Ace Hardware has rolls of two different gauges of plain copper wire (20 or 22 I think?) in the picture-hanging-hardware section. Good stuff.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

antonis