talkbox without talking possible?

Started by 11-90-an, June 02, 2020, 06:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on November 13, 2020, 01:29:33 PM
i gotta fuzzbox that sounds like farts in a blender if ya need the schematic, let me know.... lol
A bit OT, but I'm still waiting to see this broccoli smoothie schematic.   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

11-90-an

Quote from: iainpunk on November 18, 2020, 08:51:26 AM
if you like sketchy speech synthesis, check out the pink trombone
https://dood.al/pinktrombone/
its quit a fun app to play with for like 5 minutes, then it just gets annoying

cheers, Iain

Now I probably can't go to sleep without hearing woaaaaAaaOooooaAhHhooooAoooooaAo everywhere... :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: EBK on November 18, 2020, 10:37:14 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on November 13, 2020, 01:29:33 PM
i gotta fuzzbox that sounds like farts in a blender if ya need the schematic, let me know.... lol
A bit OT, but I'm still waiting to see this broccoli smoothie schematic.   :icon_lol:

yup me too...  :icon_lol:
flip flop flip flop flip

PRR

> ....four or five resonant peaks. ...you can often get something "speech-like" with less.

So few household sounds have even two peaks, 2 peaks gives a strong suggestion of "almost speech". (Also as hearing is lost though loud exposure and old age, those peaks are lost, "speech banana".)

> You're feeding the sound in at the other end of the system though, for sure.

There is a theorem in room acoustics that the transmission path measures the same from stage to listener or listener to stage. I know this is first-order useful thinking. I have not crawled into a throat to confirm.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on November 18, 2020, 02:30:26 PM
> ....four or five resonant peaks. ...you can often get something "speech-like" with less.

So few household sounds have even two peaks, 2 peaks gives a strong suggestion of "almost speech". (Also as hearing is lost though loud exposure and old age, those peaks are lost, "speech banana".)

> You're feeding the sound in at the other end of the system though, for sure.

There is a theorem in room acoustics that the transmission path measures the same from stage to listener or listener to stage. I know this is first-order useful thinking. I have not crawled into a throat to confirm.

I don't know anything about room acoustics, but I know that a shape one way around is different from a shape the other way around. Whether that is significant or not in this case, I don't know. You're suggesting that not - so the shape and distance from source doesn't make any odds? Otherwise "wide then narrow" would be different from "narrow then wide", right? The "transmission path" you talk about from the lips to the wide cavity of the mouth is much less far than the distance from the vocal cords to the same cavity. So despite the fact the distances from one end to the other are the same measured from either end, the distances from one end to the relevant important structures and features aren't the same at all. Does that matter, or not?

PRR

> "wide then narrow" would be different from "narrow then wide", right?

No. Same path, direction does not matter.

I'm sure there is fine-print I have forgotten.
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

As long as there is only one path, it should be the same. However, where there are many paths, I would expect there to be differences in how these interfere. My gut tells me that amplitude does not care about the path direction in the end but amplitude as well as phase at the points where paths interfere will be different for different points of origin. I have zero evidence to back that up, though. But I am pretty sure we need to consider interaction between paths to understand what's going on in a resonance chamber.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

pinkjimiphoton

this thing should sound like a fart in a blender for ya lol

unless i'm forgetting, which is possible/plausible/likely

use at your own risk. i DID end up selling a bunch of these way back when, for some reason. can get enough fuzz where your guitar sounds almost like pitched static.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

iainpunk

Quote from: PRR on November 20, 2020, 09:18:23 PM
> "wide then narrow" would be different from "narrow then wide", right?

No. Same path, direction does not matter.

I'm sure there is fine-print I have forgotten.
QuoteThere is a theorem in room acoustics that the transmission path measures the same from stage to listener or listener to stage
this tells you that funnels/horns are good for boosting your voice, but also good for louder listening, not that the voice is equally amplified if you turn the horn around. i hope that clears it up a little.

what teh tube in mouth thing of the talk box basically does is like making a hole in the side of the horn and screaming in to that hole, this takes out a big part of the effectiveness of the horn, as it is directly linked to length, volume and curvature.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers