Aion Graviton (Boss HM2) not working properly

Started by tommasoc, June 05, 2020, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommasoc

Hi guys,
Tommaso from Italy here, this is my first post in the forum.
I have built several pedals during the last 2 years and I've found many interesting info reading this forum.

I have built a Aion Graviton kit during the last days but I'm having some issue.
The pedal works, the dry and we sound work but it's crap. It's not the hm2 style crap :D it sound like a fuzz working badly.

Kevin from Aion tried to help me, I tried to change some caps and some resistors, checked every single component and then checked the voltages of each pin of the active components.

Attached you can find the voltages of the kit documentation and what I've read on my kit (you can see that something is wrong on Q1), a photo of the kit and the part of the schematic that should be involved with Q1 voltage. I've doubled checked those components and they are all perfect.
I've changed Q1 with 3 different transistors but it's all the same.
Any idea?
I'm starting to think to throw everything away :(

Thanks in advance!

PRR

> you can see that something is wrong on Q1

I don't see a problem. Your meter loads-down the Gate bias network. The Gate reads fine when NOT poking the mater at it, as shown by the expected ~~5V reading at Source.

The "7.5V" note for Source is either a super-old JFET or a typo.

Use a signal tracer, see how far the signal gets.
  • SUPPORTER

willienillie

There are some solder joints that could use touching up.  Pretty much all the resistors that are partially sticking up, maybe more that aren't visible.