Klon Centaur clone : hard to find caps

Started by DocBrown, June 08, 2020, 04:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocBrown

Hi !

As my third pedal build went smooth (partly thanks to your adivices !  ;)) I decided to try to make a Centaur clone. I get the PCB from Aion and I'm sourcing for other components.

I'm in trouble to find two caps and maybe here someone could help me. I'm looking for film caps (C8 and C13), Panasonic if possible, ECQ would be perfect, in 390pF and 820pF. It seems that the 390 is discontinued from Panasonic so obviously any great quality equivalent suggestion would be welcomed.

I found these values at Mouser from Vishay :
https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/BFC237520391?qs=FV1K9AujdS8wNK6uZ2GqQw%3D%3D
https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/BFC237520821?qs=iZ4rdOFHQCLCJQWQzISRjg%3D%3D

Any body knows how good are they ?

thanks !

italianguy63

I got the 390pf at Mouser..

And I got a paper strip of the 820pf-- so I assume I probably found surplus on eBay..

Both are MLCC type.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Rob Strand

With those values small-ish values you should be able to use ceramics *provided* they are C0G or NP0.   You can use disc ceramics but you might find MLCC easier to get.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

DocBrown

thanks gentlemen

@italianguy63, you said "Both are MLCC type." and it is indeed written on th Aion documentation. But, on the Martin Chittum document made while he degooped the Centaur is written : "Non polarized are ECQ film type"

I'm not verry experienced so could you explain to me why there is this differences ?

Thanks a lot

italianguy63

Quote from: DocBrown on June 08, 2020, 05:11:53 AM
thanks gentlemen

@italianguy63, you said "Both are MLCC type." and it is indeed written on th Aion documentation. But, on the Martin Chittum document made while he degooped the Centaur is written : "Non polarized are ECQ film type"

I'm not verry experienced so could you explain to me why there is this differences ?

Thanks a lot

I have not used the PCB you are.. but, it you check you may find the pin spacing is very small.  On mine, these caps are "tiny".  MC

DocBrown

well the all board looks verry small indeed :
https://aionelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/centaur_pcb.jpg

I don't know about the space let to the caps... (You'll find them on top of EC1 and on the right of ic2).

italianguy63

OK.. those appear to be standard 5mm spacing.  On mine they are I think only 3mm.

So, those are basically "common" size. 

Anyway, back to the original hunt.. try finding some MLCC type instead of film type.  MLCCs are good quality.

If you find smaller ones (like I have), you can just stretch the legs wider to mount them...

Don't overthink it.
MC

italianguy63

italianguy63

One more thing.. You MAY also have luck finding the Panasonic "type" by searching for (Chinese) ones in CBB style.  These look very similar to the Panasonic, and are the film type.

Be careful to watch the voltage rating.. because some are quite big!  So, try to check to make sure the lead spacing is 5mm before you order.  These are generally look like a fat-chicklet, and are brown in color.  The original Panasonics were a pinkish-brown color.

MC

mozz

Those values would be disc caps or mica. You can get them from electronic scrap if you can't buy them new, which I can't see. Try Jameco or electronic goldmine or any of the surplus places.
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

ECQ's are metallized polyester film caps (if I'm not mistaken). Any equivalent of such will do. You'll more than likely way over pay going after the Panasonics. Even good 'ole straight up polyester caps (green Chicklets) will work fine. Never made any difference to my ears.

Then again, my tinnitus makes everything sound the same. :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Rob Strand

Use C0G or NP0 types they are guaranteed to be clean like polyesters.  MLCCs (and disc ceramics) come in many sub-types which use different materials with different characteristics.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

mozz

Do they even make 390 and 820pf in film or poly? I don't think they would be common in low values, you can get discs all day long in pf range.
  • SUPPORTER

DocBrown

As mentioned before, wima make those value. I bought wima and some MLCC to have some stock and eventually make some tests.