Author Topic: What are the purpose of multiple transistors ?????  (Read 551 times)

SYK0T3K

What are the purpose of multiple transistors ?????
« on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
Hello Guys !! I am really excited that I found this awesome forum and helpful community, as I am starting to build my first pedal, which is a distortion pedal. I read the (Design Your OwnDistortion
By Rikupetteri Salminen) and I understood every bit in it, when when I started to look into other distortion pedals schematics (for example: GuildTM Foxey Lady) I really got lost, as the first question came to my head is that why there are multiple transistors used in (all) this pedal, what are the purpose of the other 4 or more transistors after the first one. so what is the need to use multiple transistors or op-amp(s) in the distortion pedal????, please help me ( I didn't get much sleep as I tried to find a reason for this an I still couldn't)

PS: I added the (GuildTM Foxey Lady) distortion pedal to make it more clear

link for the article I read :

Pimpom

Re: What are the purpose of multiple transistors ?????
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:17:24 AM »
Transistor Q1 amplifies the incoming signal from the guitar. Q2 is the first distortion stage and does it by further amplifying the signal and clamping it with D1 and D2. Q3 repeats the process and clamps the signal even harder. Q4 provides some more amplification.

antonis

Re: What are the purpose of multiple transistors ?????
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
Q4 provides some more amplification.

For tonestack signal loss recovery..
(and welcome, of course..) :icon_wink:

@SYK0T3K: Search for "Big Muff pi analysis"..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:58:30 AM by antonis »
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..