Joyo Ultimate Drive Tonesucking

Started by niektb, July 02, 2020, 07:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niektb

Hey all, I'm rearranging some stuff on my pedalboard but the Joyo Ultimate Drive is giving me troubles! Right now it sits just in front of the multi-effect that I use (Line6 M5). i've set the M5 to true bypass mode just to make sure it doesn't affect my drive sound. However, whenever I bypass the Line6, the volume drops tremendously and the treble is affected as well. So I'm guessing I have a tonesucking problem, the cause being the poor drive capability of the Joyo. I've tried it with a different reverb pedal (also true-bypass) with the same results...
So the question of course is... How do I fix it in the most easy way?  :icon_mrgreen:

I have a slightly modded joyo, here is the schematic :)

antonis

Depending on what impedance JOYO OUT drives, I'd lower R11/R12 Values by a factor of 10..
(C10/Tone pot value should need re-arrangement but it should be easy to obtain..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

j_flanders

niektb

im fully aware thay a buffer would fix my issue (that seems to be the solution suggested most along with lowering the value of the volume pot (which I already did)) but that's not what I m after since i have more unbuffered pedals (and they work fine). So I'm looking for a schematic fix (and lowering these 22k and 33k seems a very good option, thanks!)
but I have not found a solution on the internet that also gives the values for the tone control

alexradium

i tell you what i did to this same pedal,i rewired the buffer in front of the circuit to the output,using a NPN transistor instead of the fet,and making it a true bypass,it is a bit of work but in the end you get something that works.

niektb

Quote from: antonis on July 02, 2020, 09:15:29 AM
Depending on what impedance JOYO OUT drives, I'd lower R11/R12 Values by a factor of 10..
(C10/Tone pot value should need re-arrangement but it should be easy to obtain..)

I tried this suggestion and it definitely boosts volume and brightens (both of which are good things IMO) at the expense of the switch which isn't doing a lot anymore but the buffer issue is definitely still there. Simulation confirms that there is quite a bit of volume difference...
How much lower can I make the volume pot?

Steben

Quote from: niektb on August 13, 2020, 12:11:01 PM

I tried this suggestion and it definitely boosts volume and brightens (both of which are good things IMO) at the expense of the switch which isn't doing a lot anymore but the buffer issue is definitely still there. Simulation confirms that there is quite a bit of volume difference...
How much lower can I make the volume pot?

After the buffer lots!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

What, lowering resistors?  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

niektb

Pot took a while to be deliveder but it's finally in! This is what I ended up doing:

Lowering those 33k and 22k resistors with a factor 10 definitely brightens the pedal up, but that's not a bad thing IMO as it was quite dark before :)