Aion Blueshift - no bypass signal

Started by newjackruby, July 09, 2020, 09:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newjackruby

I can't believe it! I finished the Blueshift chorus, and I'm actually getting effect signal on the first try! I would have never imagined that I could finish this extremely complicated project and have it work.

BUT...there is no signal in bypass. Weird. I'm not even sure where to start with this problem due to the unusual footswitch wiring.

Anyone know? Here's the doc - schematic on page 9.

Thanks!

https://aionelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/aion-blueshift-dimension-c-chorus-documentation.pdf

antonis

Probably some wrong wiring on 3DPT switch lugs 1, 3 & 6
(no buffer Input or Output on bypass mode..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

newjackruby

Quote from: antonis on July 09, 2020, 09:51:57 AM
Probably some wrong wiring on 3DPT switch lugs 1, 3 & 6
(no buffer Input or Output on bypass mode..)

I am using the stock bypass (page 13). Lugs 3 and 6 are not used.

Marcos - Munky

Just to be clear, how you're naming the 3pdt pins?

Some people calls them
1-2-3
4-5-6
7-8-9

I call them this way, and if I got it right Antonis also calls them this way. But some people calls them
1-4-7
2-5-8
3-6-9
which seems to be the way you're calling them.

bluebunny

Kevin is clear about how the 3PDT pins are numbered - it's on page 15.  In any case, the wiring diagram on page 13 is pretty clear and doesn't refer to pin numbers.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Quote from: newjackruby on July 09, 2020, 09:55:36 AM
I am using the stock bypass (page 13). Lugs 3 and 6 are not used.

THen, re-re-recheck switch wiring..

P.S.
Don't post build picture for us to trace correct wiring, if you plz.. :icon_wink:
(I know Stephen will yell on me, but..) :icon_redface:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

newjackruby

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on July 09, 2020, 10:16:19 AM
Just to be clear, how you're naming the 3pdt pins?

Some people calls them
1-2-3
4-5-6
7-8-9

I call them this way, and if I got it right Antonis also calls them this way. But some people calls them
1-4-7
2-5-8
3-6-9
which seems to be the way you're calling them.

I also think of them as 1-2-3, but the doc for this project names them the other way, which is how I've wired them. It looks to me that the 3PDT in this project is not involved in the bypass at all, but rather that this is controlled on the board with jumpers and the optocoupler. I'll double check that area tonight and report back.

antonis

Quote from: newjackruby on July 09, 2020, 10:23:41 AM
I also think of them as 1-2-3,but the doc for this project names them the other way

Communication breakdown.. :icon_lol:

duck_arse

QuoteSee page 15 for more information on these bypass methods.

I'm going to yell on anybody that uses numbers for switch lugs, and/or doesn't show us what has been built.
don't make me draw another line.

newjackruby

Quote from: duck_arse on July 09, 2020, 10:52:43 AM
QuoteSee page 15 for more information on these bypass methods.
[/b]

I'm going to yell on anybody that uses numbers for switch lugs, and/or doesn't show us what has been built.

Oh no, don't yell on me!  ;D

Here's the top and bottom of the bypass section, and the switch. Difficult to photograph where the other end of the switch connections go, as this is a double-decker, but I have verified them.

EBK

I'd recommend continuity testing everything connected through the switch (from PCB pads to switch/jack lugs, not from solder blob to solder blob).
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

newjackruby

Well, shit. Went in and checked continuities and now I have no signal either way. I wish I knew what the voltages on all these chips should be. Think I'll stuff this in a bag and forget about it for now.

bluebunny

Having no signal now might be a sign of some cold solder joints.  Check out the blobby ones and reflow.  An audio probe might be helpful with tracing where your signal stops.

We should be able to work out the voltages by looking at the schematic.  I suspect the opamp in/outs will be at VR. Kevin tells you the voltage and bias points for the BBDs in the testing section.  With the accumulated wisdom around here, we should be able to come up with values for pretty much everywhere.  Would be a shame to discard!
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: bluebunny on July 10, 2020, 03:22:43 AM
With the accumulated wisdom around here, we should be able to come up with values for pretty much everywhere.

So plz, be our guest, Marc... :icon_lol:

duck_arse

well, newjackruby, from looking at the voltage measures you've posted, we can see that the unit is werking perfectly, all parts correct place and value, all wires correkt. there can't be a problem.

antonis

So Stephen, are you calling OP airy-fairy fantasist..?? :icon_mrgreen:

duck_arse

I just didn't want to yell on him, Antonis.

newjackruby

Quote from: duck_arse on July 10, 2020, 10:29:20 AM
well, newjackruby, from looking at the voltage measures you've posted, we can see that the unit is werking perfectly, all parts correct place and value, all wires correkt. there can't be a problem.

Your sarcasm is neither unnoticed nor useful. No, I didn't test the voltage of all 12 IC's on these boards. Mainly because there's nothing in the doc that tells me what the correct values should be.

But I understand the dynamic here. Every message board on the internet has the one guy who fancies himself the alpha dog and takes more pleasure in sarcastically pointing out how clueless every new user is than actually helping.

I hope it makes you feel good to be so superior to us n00b plebes.   :icon_rolleyes:

Cue the part of the thread where the assistant sarcasm masters stop by with their "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!" posts.

Ah, internet.  :o

EBK

I imagine duck is PM'ing you now as I write this.   He is more of a jokester than a meanie, and is actually usually quite sensitive when he thinks he may have offended.  He has, however, seemed to have developed a bit of low patience in his quarantine, like most of us, I'm sure.  He gets upset if he doesn't see schematics ("circuit diagrams", in Aussie parlance) or measurements.  He'll calm down and make you laugh eventually.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Quote from: newjackruby on July 11, 2020, 03:27:40 PM
No, I didn't test the voltage of all 12 IC's on these boards. Mainly because there's nothing in the doc that tells me what the correct values should be.

Do it anyway.  It's what we ask everyone and it's what's laid out in the very useful "Debugging" sticky.  We're trying to help.  When we get the voltages, we'll be able to get a bit further.  It doesn't stand on fall on whether or not Kevin posted expected voltages.  I've already suggested that the opamps will be at half-supply.  Indeed, probably anywhere that's carrying audio.  The BBDs and companders are a bit more involved (and beyond my pay grade) but there will be someone here who will know the answers.

But I understand the dynamic here. Every message board on the internet has the one guy who fancies himself the alpha dog and takes more pleasure in sarcastically pointing out how clueless every new user is than actually helping.

With respect, you misunderstood the dynamic entirely.  This has got to be - hands down - the most civil and helpful forum on the planet.  My antipodean pal is not the alpha dog, and neither is anyone else around here.  He may have been impatient, he may have had a shitty day, his cat may have died - we don't know.  But he'll be back to help you as will everyone else.  But you have to help us to help you.
  • SUPPORTER